Barn Raising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Raising

I had bought the Five and Dime ruler from MSQC back when Jenny made a tutorial with Lynne Hagmeir. When googling some images of her quilt I found this very short video. It's called Barn Raising and I do like this a lot. Another to add to my to do list, lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB8rQbUHzRU

That's neat! I like that pattern.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I really like this pattern. It’s very nice! Thanks for posting it.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I really like this pattern too. And, surprisingly so, my husband walked in while I was viewing the youtube video and he likes it too, even though it is a "little dark" for his taste. Thanks for posting this.
        Carlie

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the pattern just not sure about putting the charm in the middle and the raw edge showing.

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          If you look at their website everything is dark. lol.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          That's interesting. These are the colors that my husband is usually drawn to, maybe since he's from Kansas?. I much prefer brighter colors. However when we visited Kansas Troubles shop in 2018, we met Lynn and I was immediately drawn to the richness of the fabrics. I also like that the fabric lines go together over the years. I purchased quite a bit to bring home, and plan to sew a quilt in the near future. I don't really like frayed edges, but it does work for some.

Well that is sure clever. Thanks!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I like that! I have both the small and the large ruler and I don't think I have ever used either one. I'll have to put this one on the list

Comment

I watched the video as well as one she did with Jenny. In the Jenny video she said about 60 percent of her fabrics are dark vs 40 percent light, I think those were the numbers, anyway much more dark than light. I saw a fabric in the video that is in the quilt I am working on right now.
            I wonder about the frayed edges but then I do like rag quilts which have lots of fraying.

Comment

Very interesting pattern. I have to admit, that is the first time I've seen that ruler.
              Maria

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I took a class with Lynn many years ago when the five and dime first came out and have made a few now this....I think I have the perfect layer cake/charm pack combo in my quilting room.
                One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• minipinlady
                  minipinlady commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The quilts that you made, how did the fraying hold up after a few washes ? I made a baby quilt recently with the Five and dime, but I used my own cut charm pack, straight edges that I used an applique stitch all around on the charm. I washed the baby quilt this morning, and it stayed perfect. The other day I cut a lot of five and dimes out and I used the pinked edges charm pack of purples I bought from MSQC. I admit I am nervous about the fraying look , when I go to make it. I wish they had shown a quilt after it frayed so I could know what to expect. I have her book "Loose Change " on order, because I am curious about the other choices with these squares. I do like choices , and this ruler I think will be a favorite. My rhombus, and half hexy are my favorites. O and the double wide Dresden ( Large one ) . I love the look of Dresdens but hated making them. The double wide is awesome ! If you have any pictures of your frayed Five and Dime quilt, I sure would love to see it .

• minipinlady
                  minipinlady commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good Lord I clicked my mouse once and got 3 posts of the same, no idea how to delete 2 of them =/

• Trudy A
                  Trudy A commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They have done fine, I did a tiny zigzag on them and there seemed to be little to no fraying the edges just curled up a bit. On ny first quilt-given/stolen by SIL and used as his couch quilt-I was told the other day that I need to sew one block back down, the dog was scratching at it and it came loose in one place. This quilt has been washed close to weekly-dogs-for 8 years or so.

It's been a minute... Hi All!
                Now if i can just find that "5 and dime ruler".....where did i put it! I know where the Loose Change book is! Hugs, GB
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

With this ruler popping up I decided to make my own. I had some template plastic hanging around.

five and dime.jpg

Just in case you guys can't afford one 😁
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• minipinlady
                    minipinlady commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a great idea. If you have a ruler 5 inches wide that would be perfect for the cutting part, the L shape is just needed to center the center square inside the larger square..

• Claire Hallman
                    Claire Hallman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aren't you a smart one. I just keep thinking that this method is sort of cheating, haha.
                    You could just fold each piece into quarters, finger press the centers then line up the creases. The ruler or template would be quicker.
                    I made one years ago with the small and large pinwheels, I have no idea if I gave it away or where it is.
                    Last edited by Claire Hallman; September 21, 2020, 09:08 AM.
                Working...
                X