Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Different Fabric Organizer / Bolts & a ruler folding method

Hi Everybody!

So, I have 3 different fabric organizers or mini bolts are what I call them. Here they are: P1120036.jpg

1 ~ The large fabric organizer, it is like corrugated cardboard but plastic instead. I have the large ones measured at 10" x 14". They arent my favorite, maybe the smaller ones they offer on their website would be better for quilting fabric. I am replacing them with the comic boards. Here is the website about them: http://www.thefabricorganizer.com/

P1120037.jpgP1120038.jpgP1120043.jpg

2 ~ The 2nd is a mini fabric bolt by Polar Notions. They are my favorite but I regret to say that their prices have sky rocketed out of my budget since I purchased them 3 years ago. They are obviously plastic, hard yet pliable. Here is their website: https://polarnotions.com/Home_Page.html

P1120040.jpgP1120042.jpgP1120044.jpg

3 ~ The 3rd seems to be everyones favorite, the comic book board. Acid free paper board and relatively cheap cost wise. I dont love them, because they seem flimsy compared to the ones from polar notions, but that is obvious cause they are different materials. That and I would rather have the polar notions boards but disappointed about how the price went up so much. But I do like them because they will still do the job. At any rate, you can get these from amazon (free shipping with prime!) : http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Seri...ic+book+boards

P1120039.jpg P1120045.jpg

4 ~ The ruler fold method. I found this you tube video about it, I am not sure if this is the method other members are referring to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo

Hope this helps visualize the different organizing options for you
    Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Re: 3 Different Fabric Organizer / Bolts & a ruler folding method

Jess what a detailed review of great fabric folding products, thank you so much for taking the time for the pictures, links and helpful notes.
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

What I have folded on to anything I have put on regular fabric bolts that I have accumulated and cut them in half. If and when I ever get my sewing room set up I plan on using the comic book boards. Thanks for the tips and links.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Very cool. But I have four packs of cards. Which reminds me...of my next pile I never finished. lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use foam core. I cut it with a rotary cutter, using old blades I have kept. They won't cut fabric, but they will cut foam core poster board.

Comment

That is the video I saw and used for ruler folding...working pretty good for me...better than what I had which always looked messy no matter how hard I tried to keep it neater. So far this is working although I am still two stacks deep, but the stacks are much easier to move now to see what's behind them....with the help of a flashlight! Dark under those shelves!

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
              I use foam core. I cut it with a rotary cutter, using old blades I have kept. They won't cut fabric, but they will cut foam core poster board.
              Now thats a good idea too!
              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

How about gluing two comic book boards together? Do you think that's a good idea? Has anyone tried it?

Comment

OK I'm really cheap - would rather buy fabric so I cut up cardboard boxes to fit my shelves and wrap fabric around them. Always visible and easy to find - plus the cardboard is FREE!!!!! Maybe not the prettiest but oh well

Comment

Thanks for sharing such great info.

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                      Hoping you come back to this thread. Do you buy large sheets? Where from? And how thick are they?
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                        Hoping you come back to this thread. Do you buy large sheets? Where from? And how thick are they?
                        I use the foam core too, like Kensington. I buy the 20" x 30" sheets from the Dollar store. They are about 1/4" thick. I use my large rulers to draw the cut line & old rotary blades to cut them. You can get several boards from one sheet.
                        May the road rise up to meet you...
                        May the wind be always at your back...
                        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I have been folding all of my fabric around an 8.5" ruler for several years. I used the comic book boards for awhile but found I didn't like the middle fold in the WOF so switched to the ruler. Everything stays nice and neat.

Comment

A question...

Does using the comic boards take up more room than the ruler folding? I've tried a sample of both ways and can't figure out which method saves more space. I can see there are pros and cons of either way, but in my sewing area, it's really a question of space, and I really can't tell.

Thanks, by the way, for the research on alternate ways to store fabric, and thanks for any insight you can come up with about my question.

Happy, healthy New Year.

Comment

Thanx for sharing your review with all of the photos!
                              That helps a lot.
                              I'm kinda too cheap to buy boards for folding fabric, so I still use the 8x24" ruler for folding all of my fabric.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                              The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
                              X