Paper Piecing tutorial with no pins!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Piecing tutorial with no pins!!

I had heard of this technique but a girl at my sewing class was using it and it blew me away.
    I liked the accuracy of this. Now I havent tried this myself since Im the queen of starting a million projects and not finishing much. But last night I started using this and found myself totally impressed,
    I had a little trouble not pinning ..but I trusted in the video and it does work. I will now be saving to get the book ...my list is growing of I want's lol Now I just need a sign that says " Its all about me " lol
    http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorial
    This is a very nice much watch video...
    Laura
    One Moment at a time

Re: Paper Piecing tutorial with no pins!!

Paper piecing is my first quilting love; it's where I started and where I go when I am frustrated with other techniques. Here is a photo of the first ever quilt that I started on; and it is the 3rd quilt I ever finished. It is paper piecing...and so much easier and fun to get intricate designs:

PS...I had a non sideways version but I can't find it. You can read it's story at this link and see it right side up too. It was an emotional project for me. You will LOVE paper piecing if you get into it!

http://hillbillyhandiworks.blogspot....ry-part-3.html
    Attached Files

Comment

I must be weird because paper piecing sometimes looks like cheating to me. I can see that it is the easiest way to make a crazy quilt, but when the instructions start with 'copy this pattern x times on special paper' and I don't have a copier, I don't know how to approach it. And do you really leave the paper on the back? How do you wash it?

Must say her results are great.

Comment

Originally posted by newbiequilter View Post
        I must be weird because paper piecing sometimes looks like cheating to me. I can see that it is the easiest way to make a crazy quilt, but when the instructions start with 'copy this pattern x times on special paper' and I don't have a copier, I don't know how to approach it. And do you really leave the paper on the back? How do you wash it?

Must say her results are great.
        Normally paper is not left on the back. That in the video was a great historical find!! You set your stitch length alot shorter to make the paper easier to rip off when you are done with the quilt top before making the quilt sandwich.

Comment

I'm with Hillbilly ~ I LOVE paper piecing - basically I think because I am so bad at math, rotary cutting and it gives nice, sharp and clean definition.
          And I remember watching that old Alex Anderson show when it first aired! That has been some time back for sure.
          Laura, you will find yourself addicted to this. I would recommend small projects at first like coasters, pin cushions - fun and easy way to start paper piecing.

Newbie, I generally purchase a scribble pad at the dollar stores. I do wind up having to cut the pad into copy paper size. I run it in my printer and when it has been sewn on, it tears off quite easily when the time comes. There are some special paper piecing paper m(*say that 3 times fast!) that can be purchased; I am just far too frugal. I have also printed out some patterns on muslin for foundation piecing. You do not remove the paper until you are ready to start sandwiching the back, front and batting. You do need to sew with a smaller or closer stitch so that when you remove the paper you won't disturb your stitching. It isn't as complicated as it sounds, believe me. If I can do it, ANYONE can.

This almost always reminds me of paint by number. Nice to have some variety of skills in our tool box.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Blondie...
            I love your explanation ...I know it will make sense after I try it. I agree something small lol...I however keep reading and seeing the finished product and know that Im dense so that is why its not making sense to me...I think however its important to try ...then decide.
            Thank you for giving me your feedback ....Big hugs
            Hillbilly thanks for posting the picture I did read the story and Im sorry ...so painful for you.
            Night.
            Laura
            One Moment at a time

Comment

Thats just gorgeous Hillbillie,thanks for sharing.
              Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Working...
              X