I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

[Okay, I tried to search the forums for information about this, and I didn't find anything. If I missed this tip being previously explained, please let me know and I'll delete my duplicate thread. Thanks!]

I find "drawing the stitch line" time consuming, but I've never been good at eyeballing the bias correctly, either, so joining strips (for binding, sashing, or JR rugs) has been kind of a buzzkill.

I began cutting the end off my strips first, using my Quilter's Rule mini-triangle 45degree Diamond ruler, and it has made the process so much faster and more accurate for me. Here's photos to explain:
    I line up my selvage edges (or just one edge, if it's a start or end piece)
    Strip Bias Seams Lining Up Fabric.jpg

I line up the ruler, with diagonal edge of the *printed triangle on the ruler* (NOTE: not the edge of the ruler) with where I want the stitch line to be
    Strip Bias Seams Lining Up Ruler.jpg

My ends now look like this
    Strip Bias Seams Cut Done.jpg

I simply line up the bias edges and stitch a 1/4" seam (I love my #57 piecing foot for my Bernina 1130).. So, one of the other things I was always doing (before this trick) was sewing the seam the wrong way. That's much harder to do with this technique, because if I put the right ends together, they will sit perpendicular to each other, like in the picture. (If I put the wrong ends together, the strips will lay right on top of each other)
    Strip Bias Seams Getting Ready to Stitch.jpg

And it's done!
    Finished Biased Seam.jpg

I find this technique is quicker, because I've taking out the "drawing a line" step, and more accurate, because no more "eyeballing". I hope this helps anyone else who has trouble with those pesky bias seams when joining strips.

Re: I Disliked Joining Strips - I Started Using QR's Mini-Triangle Ruler

Thank you for this clever idea. I have actually joined my ends with the seam going in the wrong direction and I won't tell you how many times! I am definitely trying this.

Comment

This does look like a clever idea. I, too, have sewn my strips together wrong more times than I will admit.
      Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
      🙄

Comment

Thanks for the great tip! It makes a lot of sense and easier to do it this way.
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

Love your idea for those pesky joins!

Another helpful tip:

Remember this little ditty when joining the ends.

Put the two strips-right sides- together on a 45. Leave a little edge of about 1/4 inch on the ends. Think of the ends like pant legs hanging down. Sew across the waist line.

Comment

I think this will take as much time to do as marking with a pencil. It will take all the guesswork out of the stitching line. Thanks for the idea and especially the photos.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Fran View Post
              I think this will take as much time to do as marking with a pencil. It will take all the guesswork out of the stitching line. Thanks for the idea and especially the photos.
              You have to trim your stitched seams anyway. This way you are doing that before you sew your seam, instead of after, so no additional time is added. No need to go back to your cutting table, and you can head straight to your iron after stitching.

Comment

I have always cut my strips on a 45% when I am have enough cut to size. I also press them in half before I join the lengths as it is so much easier to press a 40" strip than one that is 6 or 8 times that length. Then I just have to press the joins and roll it up to use later.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                  I have always cut my strips on a 45% when I am have enough cut to size. I also press them in half before I join the lengths as it is so much easier to press a 40" strip than one that is 6 or 8 times that length. Then I just have to press the joins and roll it up to use later.
                  I hear ya! Coming from the costume sewing world, I originally cut all my strips on the bias, too. And then I kept seeing all the tutorials where they didn't, and everything still worked out well. So now, unless the bias edge create an interesting design detail, or I'm working on a project that has rounded edges, I cut my strips across the straight of goods.

Pressing them in half before joining is a great tip. You're right, much easier to do that. Thanks!

Comment

I drew a line on my machine for the seamline. As long as my notch from where the two strips cross stay on that line, the seam will be a perfect 45 degree angle. Much faster to sew first then cut.image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                      I meant the ends of the strips, not bias binding. When I cut the binding strips, I line all the strip ends up on the lines on my mat and cut them all in one fell swoop on a 45% angle, fast and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        I drew a line on my machine for the seamline. As long as my notch from where the two strips cross stay on that line, the seam will be a perfect 45 degree angle. Much faster to sew first then cut.[ATTACH=CONFIG]160754[/ATTACH]
                        This is the method I use. I have tried all the different methods. I get the most accurate results using the line drawn on the base of the sewing machine. With the table extension on my sewing machine I can do up to a 5" square.
                        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          I drew a line on my machine for the seamline. As long as my notch from where the two strips cross stay on that line, the seam will be a perfect 45 degree angle. Much faster to sew first then cut.[ATTACH=CONFIG]160754[/ATTACH]
                          This is the method I was using previously. However, for me, it meant that I was still having to "eyeball" the line and focus on keeping everything straight. Since I use my 1/4" seam piecing foot, that work is done for me, and I end up with a more accurate seam. And, like I said, my seams are already trimmed, so I'm off to the iron, straight away, without having take the time to bring everything back to my cutting table, realign, and trim my seams, and then take the whole thing over to my iron. This is especially helpful if I'm making a JR rug, and my joined strip is almost 50 yards long.

"Faster" can be such a subjective idea. One of my favorite things about this craft is that there are so many methods and techniques, so folks can find the best fit for them. I think of it in the same way Jenny talks about rulers, "Find the one that works for your eye." I only wanted to share a technique I came up with that made a task I found arduous, less so, in hopes that it might give another way for other folks who were still searching.
                          Last edited by Thayer Abaigael; September 27th, 2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Just saw this today - looks interesting.

https://cluckclucksewshop.com/produc...onal-seam-tape

Comment

Carol, this is such a coincidence. I'm sewing snowballing corners and just put down a line of washi tape on my machine to help me. My tape doesn't have the nice lines that this does, but it is working well for me.

Jeannette

Comment

Working...
                              X