A binding tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A binding tutorial

I just watched this tutorial on YouTube and I haven't seen this pocket method before so I thought it might be of interest to someone. I hope it uploads correctly.

Anyone tried this yet?

https://youtu.be/xWh90tXr7g4

Re: A binding tutorial

That's the only one I use. I love it! Literally a "no brainer".

Comment

Have used this method for a long time, Love it. Kathy
      All quilts cat tested and approved.
      sigpic

Comment

I have never used this method. Do you not stitch that opening closed?
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Every quilter has to find a binding method that makes sense to their brain. This is a good option.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

This is my go to method it works great for me.
            http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quil...ds-of-binding/
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I had stitch the opening closed. Only takes a couple of minutes. They don't show that on the tutorial, so I guess some would just leave it open. I use a wider binding than most ( 2 3/4"), so stitch it up.

Comment

I still use the method I learned in my first quilting class. I leave a good 12" unsewn on either end, so there is plenty of space to manage the ends. You over lap the ends however long your binding is wide, then cut. My binding is always 2.5". Then sew the binding ends with a diagonal stitch just like you do when piecing long binding strips. Then finish sewing on the binding. If I find the tutorial my teacher gave us, I'll share the web site.

I found it. It's titled "Joining the Ends of Double-fold Binding", by Shelley Rodgers in Walnut Creek, CA. Just Google the title & it pops up. There is a 7 page PDF file with instructions & photos. It's very easy to follow.
                Last edited by JCY; January 30th, 2017, 08:39 AM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                  I still use the method I learned in my first quilting class. I leave a good 12" unsewn on either end, so there is plenty of space to manage the ends. You over lap the ends however long your binding is wide, then cut. My binding is always 2.5". Then sew the binding ends with a diagonal stitch just like you do when piecing long binding strips. Then finish sewing on the binding. If I find the tutorial my teacher gave us, I'll share the web site.

I found it. It's titled "Joining the Ends of Double-fold Binding", by Shelley Rodgers in Walnut Creek, CA. Just Google the title & it pops up. There is a 7 page PDF file with instructions & photos. It's very easy to follow.
                  Here is the link JCY posted. I remember how hard it was for me to grasp joining the ends when I first started quilting.
                  http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting...-fold-binding/

Comment

That is the method i use and never have an issue, but to each his or her own lol.
                    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

I think this is an interesting idea and I plan to try it. I hate taking the entire quilt out from the machine to bind the ends. I have used some of the practices posted in this thread and at first I struggled because I would not leave enough fabric to join and I dreaded binding but with practice I have gotten pretty good but this approach seems easier.

Comment

I do the one JCY does. But the pocket one is an interesting idea.
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Working...
                        X