How to FMQ the "Swirly Swirl"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to FMQ the "Swirly Swirl"

Pam (pcbatiks) called the quilting design I used on my last quilt the "Swirly Swirl". It was Joy (JCY) who first shared the tutorial with us. I don't know if she posted it here, so I am doing so now. I quilted a full size bed quilt with this design on my domestic machine. I would always start at the center of the quilt and quilt in sections, 1/4 of the quilt at a time. I used wool batting, which, I have read, cause the design to have more definition.

The back of my quilt shows the design the best:

P1010008 (1).jpg

The tutorial starts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0P1CE_dOqU
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: How to FMQ the "Swirly Swirl"

Sylvia, it's 3:40 in the morning and I can't sleep and I've been watching Jamie's video. I hope someday to be that good. Your FMQ is wonderful and I'm amazed what you do on a DSM. Thanks for posting the link. It's always good to watch it again and again
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I really need to learn to FMQ.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

interesting video. I love your work but don't think I'm quite ready for this on myDSM
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Thanks for the video. I will watch the 3 episodes. He makes it look very do-able!
          Cindy

Comment

He does make this easy, doesn't he?

He's the one whose trailer full of quilts and rulers was stolen in Houston this past month. Really nice guy. I saw him and a few others in his 'booth' at the quilt festival. The 'booth' was empty. So sad.

Comment

Don't you just love him! He's also featured on the longarm quilting show on QNNtv.

So sad about his quilts.

I have a lot of people tell me to just practice drawing before taking it to the machine. Work on that muscle memory!

Beautiful quilting Sylvia!
              Vonnie

Comment

Yes, I learned the Basic Swirl from watching Jamie Wallen's video. It's one of my favorite patterns to do. It's quick & easy once you "get in the groove". When I first was learning it, I practiced on paper, then a white board, then a practice sandwich. One needs to learn how to do it in 4 different directions, although I tend to do only 2 directions. Sylvia, your quilt turned out great!

Comment

Working...
                X