Flying geese Diamonds idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying geese Diamonds idea

I was not pleased with the amount of fabric in the bottom seam but I love this block and intend to make more. It occurred to me that I could solve this problem with 2 adjustments.

1. I would still use the two 5 inch pieces but I would cut the 10 inch piece to 9.5 x 5inches. This way the geese do not extend into the side seams.

2. After folding the 9.5 inch piece in half and placing the fold at the top I would trim across the bottom right corner diagonally 1.5 inches. By doing this the block is not compromised at all but you get away from having so many layers of fabric at the center bottom seam.

I put together one test block and it seems to still line up okay and the geese do not extend into the side seams. So that leaves less bulk in the side seams and at all the junctions.

Just a suggestion but if you decide to try it do a test one first. Dscn5289.jpg
    Dscn5290.jpg
    Dscn5291.jpg
    Dscn5293.jpg
    Dscn5295.jpg
    Dscn5296.jpg
    sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Re: Flying geese Diamonds idea

I like that Idea! Will have to try out some test blocks when I am ready to do this one.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I'm set up for quilting right now, but as soon as I get back to piecing, I would like to try this. Thanks for posting.
      Cindy

Comment

I haven't done this yet, but does the corner you cut out get opened up under the folded red fabric? Great idea!!
        Barbara
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks! Will save your post. I noticed this happened with the "friendship block" , where you lost your points iin the side seams. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong!
            :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by CraftySweetPeas View Post
              I haven't done this yet, but does the corner you cut out get opened up under the folded red fabric? Great idea!!
              Yes it does
              sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Comment

Good idea! Thanks!
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I just may have to try this.
                  Thanks for sharing the idea.

Comment

Thank you for the good tip on reducing bulk. I saw this quilt in the new BLOCK and love it done in black/white.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I didn't see this post until now but I wondered about a different alteration. I have my blocks half made and am concerned about all the bulk too. I wondered about trimming away the two layers behind the cathedral stitching. The curved goose is all I really want to keep.
                      (i don't know if I'm explaining it so it's understandable).
                      What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X