Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to quickly change thread on your serger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to quickly change thread on your serger.

After reading another post regarding trouble threading a serger I thought it might be a good idea to share this video. For those of you who own a serger but aren't aware of this technique for tying on new thread you should watch this. Just make sure that you test the knot to make sure it's very secure before pulling it through the guides and the discs. Also, reducing the tension to zero helps as well. If the knot tends to get hung up when it gets to the tension disc just remove it from the disc and pull the knot around it. Then reinsert the thread around the disc and pull it so it is snuggly in the disc. I find the best way to tie the threads is to lay them together, form a large loop and pull them both through the loop at the same time. That method for typing never fails for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39vthUcqXdc

I just purcashed a new Juki serger and I love it. It makes the best rolled hem I've ever been able to make. I took my Viking in for service and the wheel was so tight from lack of use that the service tech suggested getting a newer machine. I'm so glad I made the trade since this Juki is awesome. It's a very basic machine but that's exactly what I need. I also like that it's small.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 20, 2016, 10:09 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: How to quickly change thread on your serger.

Great advice! I learned that many years ago when i got my first serger, saved me a lot of grief over the years.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I also learned this 30 years ago when I bought my first serger.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

It took me a long time to learn that little "trick". I used those long thin wires to thread mine. Guess that is why I hardly ever use it... But I did make a lot of great curtains!! Love it for fast hems!! It just doesn't want to keep it's tension on one of the 4 threads..

I think it needs a good cleaning. ???
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

Been there done that, got fed up (after about 20 years of threatening to smash the darn serger to the floor) and went air-jet! Life is good.

Comment

I use that trick when I don't want to bother trying to thread that tricky lower looper under the works of the machine (all the other ones aren't that bad.) BUT, how does that lower looper thread get unthreaded all by itself? I'll be testing my chain, and then all of a sudden the lower looper is no longer in the hole (of that little metal "knife" looking thing that goes side to side,) but all four threads are coming out from under the foot? There is no way it can come out of that hole without breaking. Makes no sense. Ah, upon further testing, it looks like the thread does break, but then gets swept up by the other threads and continues out through the machine. I guess I have to rethread the entire thing again. At least I think I figured it out.
            Ah, needles! If you keep having problems, change out your needles. Just replaced both, and now it serges like a dream!
            Last edited by Oleg; August 13, 2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X