Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stacking blocks with Hexi's

hexi stacking blocks.jpg

Isn't this a gorgeous stacking block quilt?? I fell in love with it at first sight. It was in a box of orphan blocks I recieved and don't remember who sent it (If you recognize it, please PM me so I can give credit). I have studied this in the enlarged mode via photo shop. I found it was made using hexi's. Now I have a 5" half hexi template and lots of SCRAPS.. esp those left over pieces from jelly rolls.

I cut up a bunch of scraps then printed out the above image and started putting together some Half Hexi's.. ** this is what I found out.

1. you are gonna have lots of Y seams and a bunch of seams meeting.. so I'd call this an intermediate level quilt.
    2. Light, Medium and Dark fabrics work best..
    3. Definately put up your hexi's on a design board to keep them straight.

And the basic unit I found to go the fastest is the next photo.
    DSCN7396.JPG

As you sew these together, note the light goes on top.. with a medium and light together, a dark and light then the dark and medium.. Paying attention to who goes next to whom!!
    DSCN7394.JPG

This goes fast since you are working with the 5 inch Hexi.. and depending on how many scraps you have, your quilt can be any size.. The border was done by placing all the hexi's on a background fabric, sew around the outside edge, then cut out the "center"..(the hexi's) . For larger quilts.. add 5 inches to your border, still sew around the outside edge, then trim off the excess that is underneath / or on the back side of your border.

I hope someone can use this information.. If you find a better way to use up scraps, Please let us all know your secret or tips.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Re: stacking blocks with Hexi's

Amazing - I don't know if I'd have patience enough to do one of those.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Judy - that is going to be great! Can't wait to see it come together. You are a fast worker, my friend!
      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Thanks for showing how the block is constructed. It was very easy to see how they are made form 1/2 hexis. I love those building block patterns, but don't think I am at the level needed for Y seams yet!

Comment

Marci Baker has books and tutorials on making these quilts.
          Way more simplified than Y seams, hexies and all that scary (to me) stuff...
          Here is a link to her site Quilt with Marci Baker | Quilt Patterns | Learn to Quilt | Quilt Videos
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the link....I didn't see any "how to's", just a pattern you can purchase... am I missing something??

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
            Marci Baker has books and tutorials on making these quilts.
            Way more simplified than Y seams, hexies and all that scary (to me) stuff...
            Here is a link to her site Quilt with Marci Baker | Quilt Patterns | Learn to Quilt | Quilt Videos
            I found this link that Blondie gave me for a way to strip piece a stacking block quilt. Might be alot easier for one to do and doesn't have those Y seams. Not your Grandmothers Tumbling block
            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
            :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
            X