Sewing caddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing caddy

One of the ladies in the forum posted this tutorial for making a sewing caddy.

http://www.mygirlfriendsquiltshoppe....tm?newsId=3769

I tried it out and made my own quilting caddy. Here is my finished caddy!

sewing caddy.jpgsewing caddy2.jpg

I completed my project in about an hour and 15 minutes. I have a few thoughts on how to do the design a little differently than was shown in the video--

1. I wouldn't sew all the way around and flip it inside out. It doesn't lay as nicely and it is really hard to close the opening. I would create the top with the pockets, sandwich and then stitch (see number 3). I would also add a nice binding to the design.

2. I'm not fond of just straight stitching the pockets. You need more strength because things are going to be constantly moving in and out of the pockets so I used a denser stitch to give the caddy more strength.

3. I wouldn't waste time on quilting the caddy. Just stitch straight up from the pockets to give more strength to the entire piece. Use the same denser stitch you used on the pockets or another dense stitch.

4. You might need to make a wider caddy than what a fat quarter gives. My sewing machine has a quilting extension table so if I were to make another one, I would make it so it would fit under my entire machine.

5. I added another row of pockets to mine that were shorter in order to hold smaller objects such as embroidery scissors, my seam ripper, short screwdriver, etc. These smaller items will get lost in the deeper pockets so the extra row is very handy.

Hope this information helps. Happy stitching!

Re: Sewing caddy

Very cool, Ann! Great adaptations that you made!

Comment

That was me!!! Very nice!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I made one of these for my sister's birthday a couple years ago. We laughingly call it a Sewing Machine Tree Skirt (like Christmas Tree Skirt--get it?!). She loved it. I need to make one for myself. Love yours! I know you will enjoy having your tools handy.
        I pray when risen from the dead before the Lord I stand; perhaps a crown upon my head, but with a needle in my hand.

Becki

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          Very cool, Ann! Great adaptations that you made!
          Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
            That was me!!! Very nice!
            Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial!

Comment

Originally posted by NanaB View Post
              I made one of these for my sister's birthday a couple years ago. We laughingly call it a Sewing Machine Tree Skirt (like Christmas Tree Skirt--get it?!). She loved it. I need to make one for myself. Love yours! I know you will enjoy having your tools handy.
              Indeed. It has already come in VERY handy. My husband suggested that I adapt the design to a tie on apron as well.

Comment

Thank you, Annoxyer, so much for the adaptations. I might not put so many pockets in because I get confused with too many pockets - if that makes sense. (Unless I labeled the pockets - ha) But I really like the idea of a few smaller pockets. My seam riper and tiny scissors get lost in the pencil cup I use for most things. I've gotta put this on my list to do! Oh - and Bubba - thanks for starting this post this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly View Post
                  Thank you, Annoxyer, so much for the adaptations. I might not put so many pockets in because I get confused with too many pockets - if that makes sense. (Unless I labeled the pockets - ha) But I really like the idea of a few smaller pockets. My seam riper and tiny scissors get lost in the pencil cup I use for most things. I've gotta put this on my list to do! Oh - and Bubba - thanks for starting this post this morning.
                  You are very welcome, my dear!

Comment

Sandy sent me an easy tutorial for this caddy... I just can't see it. It would drive me nuts to have all that "Stuff" hanging in my way when I am trying to put a quilt top together. I always have fabric between my legs, strips I am trying to keep straight while sewing. Especially once I got the top half done and I have that much of a quilt in my lap to keep under control as I seam it. Not happening. LOL

Comment

If I were to make one, I'd move it out of the way while quilting. I think it would come in handy when piecing, but I have a neat cosmetic caddy next to my machine I like, so I won't be making one for myself.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I think it would be nice to have something just to hold my small scissors, stiletto, seam ripper and pins. The rest doesn't usually get used at my machine so for me it's better to store those things elsewhere. As to making a tool belt I think it would work but only holding a minimal number of items so it wouldn't become cumbersome. I
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

My quilting ladies made one of those in class a few years ago, some still use them some not. For me it would be in my way hanging in front of me. I have a few different trays on my sewing table for various things.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                          X