Making your own quilting templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making your own quilting templates

I read somewhere that a quilter cuts up her old cutting mats to make her templates. Thought it was an inexpensive idea.

Comment

My grandma made her templates out of cereal boxes and used scissors to cut her fabric, one piece at a time.

I am thrilled to not have to do that! Templates can be as addictive as fabric. If it is something I will use more than once I buy one. If it is a one time thing, more than likely I will figure out a way to do it without spending the extra money for the template. If it is a template that gives me the ability to make the same pattern in various sizes that is a huge plus.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
        And then you could shrinky dink it and cut out a matching miniature version too!!!
        Lol you made me go look up Shrinky Dink quilt template. lol

I agree Karen they are addictive! Circles are one that I can't bring myself to buy. I think it's kind of fun to go around the house to try and find the right size. It makes me feel smart for some reason. lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I looked up Shrinky Dink too. I never heard of it. Why would you use this as opposed to just using template plastic?
          Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 8, 2014, 04:29 AM.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Michell View Post
            What to say? Where to start a reply as a template manufacturer?

Of course, in many but not all cases, money can be saved if templates are made at home of opaque or scrap materials. What do you miss when you do this?

1) You miss well thought out instructions and in our case six books that tie directly to the templates by the number of the template. One template's instructions is 28 pages, 8.5" x 11", full of important and good ideas.

2) You miss a selection from 79 acrylic tools we alone supply.

3) You miss a selection of 15 tools priced at $14 or less.

4) You miss the very accurately placed measured printing on the acrylic including the suggested grain line. Grain line is probably the most neglected source of trouble in patchwork.

5) You miss the additional solution to another big source of trouble in patchwork. i.e. proper position of the fabrics prior to sewing. Our templates have special corners that remove the dog ears and guide you into perfect alignment of the fabrics. Not getting this right is why your block puckers, doesn't lay flat or the points do not come together properly. There were many issues the judges had to consider when our templates were awarded the best new product of the year in both the USA and Canada but the special corners may have been the most important.

6) You may not save any money when you compare the shapes you are making at home with some of our template sets with many pieces. For example, one set has 9 pieces, cuts 11 shapes and sells for $26.00. That is $2.40 per shape, is made from the same material your ruler is made from, has information printed on it, has an instruction book covering all 11 shapes plus a book is available that coordinates with it.

7) You will not be able to match the computer controlled accuracy of the laser cutting. The laser polishes the edges leaving a super smooth edge as opposed to the rough edge left by even a fine tooth saw.

Changing a mind set that likes to get personally or family involved in making things is difficult to do and maybe is not the right thing to do. The satisfaction of accomplishing such projects is fun and I am fully addicted to that myself. However, your time may be better spent working in the garden or painting the house. Somebody once said "the only people that don't like XXXXX's templates are the people that have never tried them." Many quilters that first reluctantly tried XXXXX's templates now have thirty or more sets.

Consider trying XXXXX's templates. You will be very likely to not want to do patchwork without XXXXX's tools once you understand how much good they do for you.

Plugging products on a forum like this is not a great thing to do. Yes, we want and need people to buy products, but we have always acted and believed that education is the most important service we supply. Hopefully this information will provide you with information you were unaware of allowing you to make better, informed decisions.

Richard Michell
            From XXXXX XXXXXXX Products
            Michell Marketing, Inc.
            I agree that having measurements and such printed on the template is important most times. I had various squares cut for use in making t shirt quilts. In that case, no markings was just fine so I could see through the template clearly to center my design. If you are just cutting a shape homemade should be fine.
            I have lots of templates that I bought for precision and lots of templates homemade that work for me when I just need the shape.
            Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
              I looked up Shrinky Dink too. I never heard of it. Why would you use this as opposed to just using template plastic?
              I just mentioned it because I happed to have some. It's clear plastic so it could be used in a pinch.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

My DH cuts plexiglass for me when I need a template. He picks up the scraps from the hardware store and keeps them on hand for when I need a template. It really works great when I am squaring up my quilt blocks, he cuts the exact size I need, then he marks the center of the square.
                Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

I use this Plaskolite, 8 in. x 10 in. Polystyrene Sheet, 1S08104A at The Home Depot - Tablet to make my own straight edge templates. If I need a template with a curve, and know I'll use it more than once, I'll buy it. I've made a half hexi template, a very mini tumbler and squares.
                  Cil
                  A quilt is a blanket of love
                  http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                  http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I've just found this blog post: Quiltification: New Wave

She tapes her template on a regular ruler to get the hard edge necessary for cutting. Very clever...

Comment

Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
                      I've just found this blog post: Quiltification: New Wave

She tapes her template on a regular ruler to get the hard edge necessary for cutting. Very clever...
                      It is very clever! Great blog.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                      X