From the blog-- queen/ king size JRR quilt tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the blog-- queen/ king size JRR quilt tops

When we were all just trying out doing the jelly roll race quilt tops, many wanted to make bigger quilt tops than what a single jelly roll would make ( roughly 50 by 63"). I figured out how to make them wider, but making them longer was laborious! I did several for my queen bed, adding length by sewing on strips row by row.

Yesterday in the blog, Kate shared a way to make the quilt top wider AND longer using the traditional JRR technique. One of the folks who works at MSQC figured this out. You start off with anout 80-116 strips, divide the number by three, and sew that number of strips together, but make three seperate long strips. So say you start with 96 strips, you sew together 32 of them three different times. She also made calculations to use the cut off portion in each succeeding strip, so there is no waste. Then you sew these three long strips together to make a long strip 6.5 inches wide. This is what you use to do the jelly roll race technique.

It's a great idea.

I developed a similar technique, although I just made three different Jrr sections, but only sewed the JRR til I had 16 rows across. Each of my sections would be long and skinny, a certain width that is determined by the number of strips wide and 32" long. Then you could sew each 32" section together to make the quilt 96" long. You would have to do some crazy computations to make it longer than that, but it could be done. Basically you would sew a fourth section, but would only sew to 8 rows, thus adding 16". This would make the quilt 112" long. (96+16= 112, right?)

I wrote up my technique in my user notes, dated Oct. 2013.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 20, 2014, 06:41 AM.

re: From the blog-- queen/ king size JRR quilt tops

Great ideas for those that need queen or king, and are mathmatically challenged! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Jean - how do I access your user notes?

Comment

Originally posted by marsharini View Post
        Jean - how do I access your user notes?
        Click on my name then profile, the user notes are there. I am in the process of uploading a 5 part video series demonstrating my method of making a Queen/king size jelly roll quilt. I have two of the five segments uploaded, working on #3 now. Look at the end of my user notes. It takes me 3 hours to upload each segment, slow DSL!

Comment

I hope Jenny plans on doing a tutorial on their blog post. I am a very visual person and even though I read their blog post - and Jean's post here - I'm just not sure I'm getting it. LOL.

Maybe Jenny has spoiled me but I do like to see a pattern demonstrated before I try it myself.
          Vicki
          Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Originally posted by VickiJ View Post
            I hope Jenny plans on doing a tutorial on their blog post. I am a very visual person and even though I read their blog post - and Jean's post here - I'm just not sure I'm getting it. LOL.

Maybe Jenny has spoiled me but I do like to see a pattern demonstrated before I try it myself.
            Vicki the first three segments of my video series are uploaded and the links are in my user notes.

image.jpg

This is the finished quilt top, not quilted yet!

Comment

Re: From the blog-- queen/ king size JRR quilt tops

Well that quilt is just plain lovely. I need to finish up a couple things and then I'm making a JR quilt! Ha!

(Do it really have to finish up what's on my table first?)

Comment

Working...
              X