• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preeti
    replied
    Re: Spools pattern

May be this response is a bit too late.
    Make the spools first. Make the thread block to match the width of the spool. Adjust the sashing (adjacent to the thread) accordingly to make the whole thing fit.
    Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• g8dhorse7
    replied

Thanks, Julie! Myrna, the spool sections are wider than the thread. I adjusted the spool seams, stretched the thread a little.....still they were noticeably wider. I rechecked measurements, cut new pieces, made sure I was sewing ¼", pinned, and I still had the same problem. I may cut the spool a ½" shorter next time and see if that works.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied

Which section seems to be smaller when trying to match the seams, the "spool" or the "thread"?

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

Hey, it's Julie!, yes it was touch and go with those pesky spools. I pinned and sewed as close as I could to get them all lined up. I actually stretched (shh, don't tell!) some of them. It came out quite good after all, Then, I trimmed the blocks to square and there was usually a good bit to one side or another. I love the quilt pattern, I may have to make a large quilt from that pattern....#65 on my quilty list! LOL

Leave a comment:

• wlrquilts
    replied

Have you checked your 1/4 inch seam on the middle section? I find when I try to match up a diagonal seam with a straight seam that is where my problem is. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Here's the link for the spool quilt that Julie posted recently. Maybe she would have a suggestion.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...l-hanging.html

Leave a comment:

• asta
    replied

I have found that a touch of basting glue at the seams works when pins are getting in the way.

Leave a comment:

• g8dhorse7
    replied

Thanks! I did use pins to match up the seams but on each block one seam was very noticeably "off." I don't panic if the seams are just a tad off because quilting can hide that. But these are noticeable from a distance. I will make a new block tonight and see if it is any better. I'm wondering about the measurements of the pattern. I've never had this much trouble matching seams before.

Leave a comment:

• Doloris
    replied

put a pin straight up and down through the seams to match right at the 1/4" point. Then put a pin on either side of the up and down pin to hold in place. Take out up and down pin and sew. don't take out the pins until the very last stitch before sewing over them. GO SLOW!!. Try that and see how it works

Leave a comment:

• SandyWhite
    replied

Love the spool pattern. Suggestion: draw lines in your sashing with quilters marker of some sort to allow a match up.

Leave a comment:

• g8dhorse7
    started a topic Spools pattern

Spools pattern

I have been dying to make a spools quilt and found this pattern yesterday http://cloud9fabrics.com/blog/Projec...poolsQuilt.pdf

I cut and sewed two blocks last night and could NOT get the "spools" lined up with the "thread!" I followed the pattern and ended up picking and resewing 3 times until I became frustrated. Any hints? Is there another pattern out there that is easier to connect seams? This looked so easy but for some reason....
Working...
X