Fan Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Quilt

Does anyone know the easiest way to cut the strips for a fan quilt? I think I can do the rest, just not exactly sure how to cut the fan "blades"

I am still new to this, I just know how to do basic squares

Thanks! Jaimee
    Jaimee

Re: Fan Quilt

I'm not sure, but can't you use the dresden fan tool for that? I'm new too, so hoping one of the more skilled ladies will jump in here. But if it is the dresden fan - you really want to get the tool - makes it a snap. MSQ sells it too!!!

Comment

first hi Jamiee - welcome to the forum!

next - look thru the tutorials and find the one with jenny teaching you how to make the blades

next - join the group called "black and white fan swap" ..... scroll thru the discussions and you will see the exact directions for making Dresden Blades for your fans There are also many beautiful wonderful pictures posted of the fans created for the swap by 21 very awesome quilty ladies in the group! YAY!

next - order the Easy Dresden Ruler from MSQC and when you get it - have fun fun fun creating fans and plates and whatever else you come up with - be careful because they can be addicting! LOL Be sure to post your pictures! we wanna see
      Last edited by pdjewelrylady; April 6, 2011, 09:49 PM.
      Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
      hugs, Suzi
      http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
      it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

yepppers that is a great idea! and to post some pictures too!

Comment

Originally posted by pdjewelrylady View Post
          first hi Jamiee - welcome to the forum!

next - look thru the tutorials and find the one with jenny teaching you how to make the blades

next - join the group called "black and white fan swap" ..... scroll thru the discussions and you will see the exact directions for making Dresden Blades for your fans There are also many beautiful wonderful pictures posted of the fans created for the swap by 21 very awesome quilty ladies in the group! YAY!

next - order the Easy Dresden Ruler from MSQC and when you get it - have fun fun fun creating fans and plates and whatever else you come up with - be careful because they can be addicting! LOL Be sure to post your pictures! we wanna see
          I wondered if the black and white fan swap group was something we had to sew blocks and send them to each other, if thats not the case then I am awfully curious about joining just to see what you are talking about. I have been watching Jenny's tutorials lately about the dresden blades.
          Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Here are the instructions we used for the Black/White Fan Swap Project:

First and foremost, everyone remember that this is supposed to be a FUN project! No quilt police and no stress!

FABRICS NEEDED:

White on White fabric for the background blocks
            5 different Black and White print fabrics for the fan blades
            Any BRIGHT colorful fabric of your choice for the quarter circle "Splash of Color"

SIZE OF CUT PIECES:

White on White Block
            CUT 10 inches square - will become 9.5 inches square when finished (we submit our blocks to Suzi as 10 inch blocks with raw edges)

Fan Blades
            CUT 7.5 inches long - will become approx 7.25 inches long after making pointed tops using a 1/4 inch seam

Quarter Circles
            CUT 3.5 inches - will become 3.0 inches when finished with 1/4 inch seams on side and curved edge
            (you may choose to start with a 7 inch diameter full circle and then cut it in quarters to get your 3.5 inch quarter circles or you can just draw the 3.5 inch quarter circle on your fabric by measuring or using a template)

TIPS:

1. When reading the instructions below from the Easy Dresden Tool booklet, remember to follow the instructions for the FAN WEDGES not the Dresden Plate. Also we are making the wedges with the POINTED TOPS.

2. Cut a strip of fabric 7.5 inches wide. Place your Dresden ruler so that the 7.5 inch mark is at the top of the fabric and the bottom of the ruler is at the bottom of the fabric. Cut both sides of the ruler for your first blade. Then flip the ruler on the fabric matching up the cut side with the edge of the ruler. Cut the other side to make the second blade and then keep working down the length of the strip of fabric in the same manner.

3. When sewing your 5 blades together to make a fan, remember to use a SCANT 1/4 inch seam. The first and fifth blade of the fan should lie parallel to the raw edges of the block.

4. You may hand stitch or machine stitch any part or all of your blocks as you prefer.

5. It is easier to attach your fan blades to the white block first and then attach your quarter round circle on top the blades on the block.

6. You can attach the curved edge on the quarter circle and the pointed tips of the blades to the block any way you like. Slip stitch by hand, machine stitch, special decorative stitch, whatever you prefer. Each block will be unique, wonderful and beautiful!

These are pics from the Easy Dresden Tool by Darlene Zimmerman. This set can be bought online at the MSQC store... just click the link!

Here are the rest of the pics with instructions:

Linda
            -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

the fan swap is complete but you can join just to view the pictures and read thru the discussion to pick up the hints and tips for making the blocks ...sewbee - have you put your fan blocks together? would love to see your finished quilt pictures on the group album YAY!

... NEW swap starts sooooon - watch for it
              Last edited by pdjewelrylady; April 12, 2011, 10:22 PM.
              Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
              hugs, Suzi
              http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
              it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Suzi I haven't had time to put my swap blocks together yet. Have to finish some projects on a deadline first but then will start playing with them. Love how your quilt turned out!
                Linda
                -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your help!! I have ordered the blade tool and will start on a quilt as soon as it comes in!!! I will be on the look out for a new swap!! I cannot wait!
                  Jaimee

Comment

New swap soon? OMG, I still have to trim my blocks for the Wild Quilt and get them in the mail. I guess I'd better put down the other three quilts I'm working on, and stop starting new ones . . . and get finished with one thing first.

Actually, I'm doing the binding on two smaller quilts this week so it's not like I'm not doing anything LOL!.

Originally posted by pdjewelrylady View Post
                    the fan swap is complete but you can join just to view the pictures and read thru the discussion to pick up the hints and tips for making the blocks ...sewbee - have you put your fan blocks together? would love to see your finished quilt pictures on the group album YAY!

... NEW swap starts sooooon - watch for it
                    Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
                    "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Working...
                    X