X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MSQC Tutorial - Quilting with Old Jeans

She did it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiL6j...em-uploademail
    K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Re: New MSQC Tutorial - Quilting with Old Jeans

I have soooo many old jeans waiting for this project.

<SIGH>

Thanks for the head up!
    Donna

Comment

Thanks to Jenny for this great idea

Comment

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like this. I don't wear jeans, I don't like denim fabric, and just can't wrap my head around a denim quilt...

I need to get out of my comfort zone lol.
        "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Great idea! Between my BF and his son, I should get a lot of jeans quickly!! One question, do you put any batting in a jean quilt?

Pam in Vegas
          Pam in Vegas

Comment

i've made several rag quilts from jeans. They are heavy and warm without batting. they are great to keep in the car.
            β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have been saving old jeans for a quilt I would use to picnic on any surface -sand, grass, damp rocks...

I am very thankful to Jenny for her explanation on how to cut the fabric, but I am at a loss about how to continue. Type of thread and needle, batting and backing... Can any of you help me with some advice?

Comment

I would use at least a size 14 if not 16 needle to stitch the denim together. I doubt you would really need batting with a denim quilt, unless you wanted it for padding. Other than the fabric being thicker, you really can follow any simple quilt pattern using the denim.

The staggered brick pattern would be good because there wouldn't be a place where 4 blocks meet up. You want to keep away from the real thick seams, so no pinwheels.
                K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I've made several rag jean quilts, with flannel squares for backing. I've used batting but I doubt that I'd use it again unless you want a really heavy quilt. I used Size 14 needle for piecing, made and "x" on the layers before joining together. Rag quilts make a lot of lint and you must be careful to empty the lint catcher in the dryer often.

I don't think I'd be interested in making the one posted on the new tutorial, unless I had the energy to serge all the edges first; otherwise, I don't know that it would hold up too well over numerous washings as the seams would eventually fray away.

Comment

To prevent the fraying sew them using a zig zag stitch...that will stop any further fraying!

Comment

I have been collecting jeans for about 3 months. Now to figure out which project to start first!! As soon as I'm able....a lot going on since March around here.
                      Melissa Greenfield :icon_wave: Crafty Quilty Mimi

Comment

I love my denim quilt. It is the heaviest quilt that own. My denim quilt is one that my granny made from my grandpas overalls. It has flannel or some thin batting in it. The denim is sewed in strips and the quilt is tied with red yarn instead of quilted. This quilt has been thru the mill and washed numerous times. It still looks great. I wish I could ask her more questions about the construction, but those details are lost to me now.
                        What a small, wonderful world we quilt in! :icon_wave:

Comment

INteresting, but I had to cringe when she cut the "seat" part... I use that part to make jean purses!
                          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I LOVED this tutorial! I had similar questions about backing, batting, etc. I am brand new to quilting, and would LOVE to make this - I'm thinking maybe a quilt-as-you-go project??

Re: Jet4361's post - my daddy was a farmer, and when he passed, I'm sure my mom got rid of a TON of old overalls. What I wouldn't give to have them back now!!!

Comment

I just recently finished a denim quilt for my husband. I decided not to put batting in it as I thought it would be plenty warm without it but now I'm wishing I had. The reason being is you can feel the seams thru the backing. He doesn't care, he'll still use it but if I was to make another one, I would put something in between so make it softer on the back.

It's really neat because I can look at the quilt and point out which piece of jean belongs to who in my family. My LAQ also stitched his name randomly on the quilt.

Stevesdenimquilt.jpg
                              Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

Comment

Working...
                              X