Stack and Whack Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stack and Whack Tutorial

Hi all, I'm trying to put together the stack and whack quilt, but i'm finding when I sew the two pieces together they come out skew and not square. ( I have checked my 1/4" seam and angles and all seem fine). When I trim them to be square I then lose the points.
    Am I doing something wrong or missing something??? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Wendy
    Wendy
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
    https://facebook.com/WendyJQuilts

Re: Stack and Whack Tutorial

Wendy,
    Is there any way you can post a pic of your block?
    I just watched the video a couple of times and it does look like there is about a 1/8 difference when Jenny lays the 2 sub-blocks together, but it could just be the camera angle. Sorry I don't seem to be of much help, but a pic could be really helpful.
    I hope someone comes along to have an answer for you!
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Thanks Lola, I will try and post some pics over the weekend.
      Wendy

Comment

Hello,

I am a new quilter, so please fogive my ignorance! I like the idea of the Stack and Whack Tutorial and I thought I would make it with a Charm pack - would that work, or do I need to invest in Turnovers?

Many thanks

Comment

Twiga, charm packs are fine, just cut them in half diagonally, this gives you the same as a turnover.

Wendy, hopefully you can post a picture so we can see what the problem may be but one thing to consider is that you are dealing with bias edges and if you are not careful when sewing they can distort.

Plus if you do not have an even feed/walking foot on your machine the two layers can feed through differently giving you a skewed/not square finish.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thank you! I cannot wait to get started now. I never thought I would enjoy quilting this much!

Comment

Sorry, forgot to ask. I am presuming that the strip will be a different size. In Jenny's tutorial she uses a 3x8 inch strip for the turnover, but since I am using a 5"square charmpack, then the strip should be smaller to keep the shape, right?

Comment

Twiga, you are correct, the turnover is a 6" triangle and the charms are only 5", I'm sorry I didn't think about that, so yes you will need to modify the size to fit.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Girls,
                  Finally got back to my stack and whack quilt. I got a little side tracked - with another quilt of course.
                  My father in law has just gone into an aged care facility (being diagnosed with cancer) and I wanted to give him something special (pic attached... I hope) I havn't quilted it yet, maybe in the next day or two. Fabric used - Lakside Resort layer cake.

Now back to the stack and whack. I've attached some pics. When looking closer at it, I do think part of the problem may be sewing on the bias... but i'm open to your suggestions and ideas.
                  I don't use a walking foot and the black fabric is Bella solids, turnover is Kansas Winter.

Regards
                  Wendy
                  Attached Files
                  Wendy

Comment

I have cut every size triangle and when I sew the two triangles on to the rectangle and triangle it is 1/4 off.

Comment

I had some trouble with may stack and whack as well. I resolved the problem by just going a bit deeper than the 1/4 " seam so My points don't get cut off when I sew my blocks together. I'm probably going to sash in between mine in case I need to doing any additional adjusting.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I am curious about this... i watched the tut and can see as well that there is not enough fabric either side of the point to allow for a nice seam allowance.... in the finished quilt... the stars and separated by background... so something different was done... does it help if we make the "background strip piece WIDER... " in my mind it seems like it work, but i'm not a pro... only someone that "flys by the seat of pants"... can someone with quilting background help me with this... i have turnovers and charms "galore" and would love to use them with this pattern... thanks in advance... Barbara
                        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I had the same problem when I tried this... have been studying other tutorials and I'm going to have to play with it some more.
                          You know you've had too much coffee when you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

The Adventures of the Empress of the Universe... or how I learned to quilt on the internet!

Comment

WendyW1...Did you use a collection of material for the first pictured quilt? The blue one. What was it called? My husband loves it and would like one with those colors and designs.
                            GlendaSue
                            I hope to outlive my stash.

Comment

Originally posted by GlendaSue View Post
                              WendyW1...Did you use a collection of material for the first pictured quilt? The blue one. What was it called? My husband loves it and would like one with those colors and designs.
                              Fabric used - Lakside Resort layer cake.

I do believe that is what she was talking about in her picture post. It is pretty fabric
                              K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                              T - is it TRUE?
                              H - is it HELPFUL?
                              I - is it INSPIRING?
                              N - is it NECESSARY?
                              K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
                              X