Quilt as you Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt as you Go

Hi there to all quilters I am new in the forum and very excited to meet all of you. I have made a few quilts, so quilting is some kind of new. My last 2 were made with the method, quilt as you go, by strip. I was wondering, if Missouri Star Company will make more tutorials with the Quilt as You Go technique. Although many traditional quilters may not like it, I think, it is a new technique many can try. I don't have a long arm and sending the quilts to be quilted, well... don't have so much money for it, but with an embroidery machine you can quilt your blocks or doing free motion. So I decided to give a try to Quilt as you Go. the real reason I decided to give a try to QUilt as You Go was, that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and trying to do the traditional method on big quilts using a sewing machine, is not an easy task and I was getting real bad backaches and in the neck too , and I will never quit my favorite hobby. I was wondering if they can teach new methods of quilting as you go. I have noticed there are many different techniques using this method, and it all depends on the quilt you are making or designing. Planning ahead is very important in Quilt as you go, because, the method and finishing technique changes. I will not get into details here, but It is only a suggestion for Missouri Star Company, maybe do tutorials with this technique which I find very gratifying and the results are just as beautiful as a traditional one. After all, all we want to achieve is have fun doing our quilts and at the end they are well constructed and beautiful, and using Quilt as You go method, you can achieve nice beautiful results. Thanks for reading and looking forward to hear from you. ( I will get a photo of the quilts I made using this method ) bye for now, Neelie from sunny Florida.

Hello Neelie and welcome to the forum! I’ve never made any quilt as you go quilts. I’ve seen them here and there, so I’m no help to you. But I wanted to welcome you and wish you well on your quilting journey…….and it is a joy-filled journey indeed! 🧵 join us as often as you’re able and we do love pictures 💕

Comment

Hi Neelie, So nice that you joined us and welcome from Alabama. I have never made a quilt as you go. Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to seeing your work.
      Teresa
      Pelham, Alabama
      War Eagle!!!

Comment

No, I don't use that method either but welcome from NC
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

Just search the Internet for videos for
          quilt as you go. I’m sure there’s plenty
          available.
          I made one quilt as you go. It was great
          quilting the blocks as I pieced.
          But then all the seams in the back
          have to be hand stitched. Which seemed
          to take a long time. You gave to make sure
          all the seam lines are straight. I don’t think I will make another Quilt As You Go.
          The book I bought was
          Quilt As You Go, author Jera Brandvig
          Good Luck with your quilt.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Neelie. I have made a couple of smaller quilt as you go projects but it's not my favourite way to quilt. That said, everyone should things the way they like. So if you prefer that method, keep doing it!

As for Missouri Star doing tutorials on this, you will have to contact the company. I don't think they normally follow the threads on this forum. As was said above, search the internet. YouTube has videos on everything (good and bad).

I'd love to see photos of some of your projects sometime. I hope you will post them.
            Maria
            From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

Welcome from Texas. I have never made a QAYG (Quilt as you go) quilt but have made a small place mat to practice the technique. I used Leah Day's method & found it to be very easy & fun. Someday I would like to make a whole QAYG quilt. Here's how Leah Day shows to make them:

https://leahday.com/blogs/machinequi...ou-go-tutorial

She also has free motion quilting designs here:

https://leahday.com/pages/quilting-design-gallery

Texas

Comment

If you search the MSQC tutorial app for quilt as you go, they have done tutorials on some quilt as you go quilts. You can also purchase printed batting for placemats, table runners, totes, wine bottle totes, and mug rugs from MSQC and other quilting sites that are quilt as you go. I made a quilt as you go fish shaped placemat for my mom’s cat and it was fun and easy.
                Dawn
                A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelie View Post
                  Hi there to all quilters I am new in the forum and very excited to meet all of you. I have made a few quilts, so quilting is some kind of new. My last 2 were made with the method, quilt as you go, by strip. I was wondering, if Missouri Star Company will make more tutorials with the Quilt as You Go technique. Although many traditional quilters may not like it, I think, it is a new technique many can try. I don't have a long arm and sending the quilts to be quilted, well... don't have so much money for it, but with an embroidery machine you can quilt your blocks or doing free motion. So I decided to give a try to Quilt as you Go. the real reason I decided to give a try to QUilt as You Go was, that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and trying to do the traditional method on big quilts using a sewing machine, is not an easy task and I was getting real bad backaches and in the neck too , and I will never quit my favorite hobby. I was wondering if they can teach new methods of quilting as you go. I have noticed there are many different techniques using this method, and it all depends on the quilt you are making or designing. Planning ahead is very important in Quilt as you go, because, the method and finishing technique changes. I will not get into details here, but It is only a suggestion for Missouri Star Company, maybe do tutorials with this technique which I find very gratifying and the results are just as beautiful as a traditional one. After all, all we want to achieve is have fun doing our quilts and at the end they are well constructed and beautiful, and using Quilt as You go method, you can achieve nice beautiful results. Thanks for reading and looking forward to hear from you. ( I will get a photo of the quilts I made using this method ) bye for now, Neelie from sunny Florida.
                  This is the only type of quilt I make now. I do it with sashing, I've done it without sashing, and I doing it now where I do strips/or sections of blocks. I also do not do any hand sewing, I do it all on machine. I love using quilting rulers to do the quilting too. Leah Day is a good one to watch on youtube and another I like to watch is The Crafty Author. There are a lot of other videos as well, but I like these two the best for QAYG. I also have been watching Jordan Fabrics youtube videos, with Donna Jordan. I'm going to do the Dresden Bloom Quilt as a QAYG, even though it isn't made as a QAYG, I'm going to do it as a QAYG and attach the different sections with sashing. This is that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcaOMYhR7o
                  I like the MQ videos as well, but would also like to see some QAYG from MQ as they make easy to follow videos.
                  Last edited by Autumnleaves; February 13, 2022, 10:01 AM.
                  Being creative is accepting the flaws as perfection

Comment

edited
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Last edited by Autumnleaves; February 15, 2022, 06:49 PM.
                    Being creative is accepting the flaws as perfection

Comment

Welcome!! I've done one...well still in progress. Not my favorite method, but do what works for you!!! Quilting should be fun and not a chore!

Comment

Shiny Happy World website has a lot of quilt as you go tutorials. Her patterns are primarily appliqué but very easy appliqué. But the videos show how to join block, add dashing and borders, etc.
                        Debbie

Comment

Pattern Poole have very good videos on quilt as you go they recently had a quilt along using this method worth taking a look.

Comment

Found this on page 2 of spam posts..... I'll try bouncing it up as well!
                            Maria
                            From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

I’ve never tried this but a lot of people do. YouTube is a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X