No "tie" quilt tying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No "tie" quilt tying

Sometimes knots like to come untied, or can ruin the over all esthetic of the quilt and maybe like myself you find yourself too rushed for time or with too much of a loft on your batting to machine quilt it.

mind you my stitches are the most even and a bit harder being my own camera man lol but here goes...

first start your needle back at little over the length of the needle you're using and slide it between the layers popping out where you want to start your tie and leaving a bit of the tail sticking out where you started it 20201206_133130.jpg

Next go diagonally from your needle this time through all the layers

20201206_133254.jpg 20201206_133309.jpg

Now we are going to cross the thread like you're doing a counted cross stitch so choose either the left or right corner, doesnt matter which just remember which one you chose the first pass

20201206_133330.jpg 20201206_133352.jpg

Now you should have an X

Now make and X in the opposite order for ease of explanation I'll just use the colors so I started on the bottom red corner and then moved to the upper green corner, so I'm going to move from the upper red corner this time to the bottom red corner and then the lower green corner is the last time I stitch through all the layers... I will bring my needle over to the upper green corner but this time I'm going to fish it just through the top layer much like I did when starting

20201206_133605.jpg

Pull the thread threade way through and snip off the excess... it only has to be snipped close enough that a light tug on the top layer will allow it to drop in-between the layers

And well thats how I do a hand tied quilt without tying knots. 😊
    Attached Files

This is quite interesting. What thread are you using and how does it hold up to multiple washings? Thanks for sharing this with us..
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

Coats and Clark's all purpose thread, could use a good quality embroidery thread if you can find it nowadays or hand quilting thread, even yarn would work and seems to hold up pretty well as washings actually help to kind of felt/tangle the threads into the batting. But while I call it a no tie tying you are actually making a tie by criss-crossing the threads... just like doing a cross stitch where you don't have to knot the threads on the back, just cross over them once or twice in the back and they don't unravel.

Comment

I am going to use this method on a queen quilt I finished (almost). I used that spray basting and did not notice a wrinkle until I was SITD around the blocks. Yikes. I hated that but was not going to unpick everything. Now I will use this to hold down the centers of the blocks and hope that it will look OK. Thanks again for this post.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

Working...
        X