cross hatching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cross hatching

How do you cross hatch? How do you keep it straight and even?
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Re: cross hatching

Hi! I'm no expert but I know I have a small bar that attaches to machine that is adjustable. You sew the first line, move the the quilt over to the right and adjust the bar to the width you want. The bar rides along the first row of stitching keeping the distance the same. When you are done, turn the quilt and sew in the opposite direction, at an angle. This makes sure the distance remains the same throughout.
    Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by janluna View Post
      I just saw a blog about this today that shows pics, and I went down thru them to see if I could find it again, but I can't...I am sorry! (I follow almost 200 blogs...i sort of have an addiction problem)

BUT..I do it the same as the blog, I just don't have photos right now.

Get some painters tape in the width of spacing that you want on your quilt. Then put a piece of tape from diagonal to diagonal. (I just eyeball mine, it always comes out just fine)

Stitch along both sides, putting your walking foot at the edge of the tape as a guide. After stitching, move the tape to the side of one of your stitch lines, then stitch another line, then move the tape again, etc. You can move the tape and use it several times.

After one direction is done, start the other direction. Eyeball it across the center from one diagonal to the other, and sew away.

I love easy solutions, don't you?

~hillbilly~

Comment

Thanks so much. That really helps. Hugs, Jan

Comment

Originally posted by maggie View Post
          Hi! I'm no expert but I know I have a small bar that attaches to machine that is adjustable. You sew the first line, move the the quilt over to the right and adjust the bar to the width you want. The bar rides along the first row of stitching keeping the distance the same. When you are done, turn the quilt and sew in the opposite direction, at an angle. This makes sure the distance remains the same throughout.
          Does that make sense?
          Yes, where do you get this bar for your machine? I love hillbilly's way too. It makes sense to me now that I have read both of your answers. Thank you both for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by janluna View Post
            I may be stepping over the line here. I am a longarm quilter and I just brought in the Cross Hatch tool by Westerlee Designs into my shop and I'm working on a small quilt with it right now. I have to say it is so much easier than marking and using a plain ruler. Simple to set up, easy to use and you can set up different angles.

For 'sit down' machine quilting I also have a small bar attachment http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/images/attach/jpg.gif that fits on the shank of the machine. Mark your first angled stitch line and stitch. Set the bar to the width you want your cross hatching to be and line up on the stitched line. I find that I still have to mark and check the quilt periodically as it is easy to loose the angle.
            Attached Files
            Shawn
            BAILEY'S QUILTING HEADQUARTERS - Superior Quilting Threads!

Comment

You're not stepping over the line. Thanks for the help. That's what we are all here for. Someday I'll be able to help too. After I learn what I'm doing first. lol

Comment

Working...
              X