FMQing explained...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQing explained...

I think this is one of the best articles on FMQing I've read. Breaks it down from tension to needle size in a way that made sense to me. Hope this link works:

http://suite101.com/article/easy-mac...ttings-a302978
    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Re: FMQing explained...

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
    I think this is one of the best articles on FMQing I've read. Breaks it down from tension to needle size in a way that made sense to me. Hope this link works:

http://suite101.com/article/easy-mac...ttings-a302978
    No book needed!
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

LOL nope! But if you want me to....I'm sure I can find one for you!
      sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
        LOL nope! But if you want me to....I'm sure I can find one for you!
        I think I have one LOL
        Shirley aka buckeyequilter
        I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Libby, Thanks for posting that info. I read through it last night. Good info!
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I don't understand why they would say to use your machine's walking foot for FMQ.

Comment

One of the FMQ video tuts on you tube showed the instructor using a walking foot. I guess as long as your feed dogs are down or covered ant your stitch length is 0 it really wouldn't matter.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                One of the FMQ video tuts on you tube showed the instructor using a walking foot. I guess as long as your feed dogs are down or covered ant your stitch length is 0 it really wouldn't matter.
                Interesting. My walking foot has a textured bottom that can grip the fabric. I would think they would cause the quilt to not move as freely as with a smooth bottomed FMQ foot. Plus they are so bulky, they would reduce the visibility. I guess the trick is to try out different methods and use what works for you.

Comment

What it used to make the design to follow with FMQ? Meandering I know is just whatever, but many designs unless you are an expert and can do them by sight only, need to be marked with a pen of some kind and then you follow the lines. What does anyone/everyone use for that purpose? I know about the chalk but being white, it can only be used on dark fabrics. What do you do on lighter fabrics?
                  Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I like the Pilot frixion pens. The ink disappears with heat from your iron. They don't seem to last very long though. I have used up two in a few months but they are not very expensive at Staples or Walmart. I got a set of red/blue/black the first time and have since then gotten two more black ones. I have used up the blue and black and started on another black one today. They are great to mark centers for embroidery, too.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
                      What it used to make the design to follow with FMQ? Meandering I know is just whatever, but many designs unless you are an expert and can do them by sight only, need to be marked with a pen of some kind and then you follow the lines. What does anyone/everyone use for that purpose? I know about the chalk but being white, it can only be used on dark fabrics. What do you do on lighter fabrics?
                      Sometimes I will draw my design onto Sulky Solvy using Crayola Washable markers, pin that to the quilt and when done, I tear away the larger bits and the rest washes out when I am done. Other times, I use Golden Threads paper. I draw on one sheet, stack 12-15 together and "sew" the design without thread. Then follow the pin holes when doing the quilting. The sulky solvy takes a little more time up front, but it's easier to let the rest wash out. The Golden Threads way is quicker up front, but takes a little longer pulling the paper off when done. Either takes about the same amount of time totally though. The best thing about these two ways is that you are not marking the fabric directly.

Comment

Working...
                      X