Mitered Corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitered Corners

I found a video on making mitered corners for your boarders. I had not seen this technique before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfLj...eature=related
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Re: Mitered Corners

Good technique. I did a mitered border last week, did it a different way and it came out OK. I think this might be a bit more accurate. If you do a multiple fabric mitered border, like our Sexy Hexy gal did, do you apply each border on seperately or make the three fabrics act as one border and then miter? My fabric that I used was a border print, so I didn't have to make it from seperate pieces, but it was over 8" wide, and had design elements in it that had to be matched. I want to do more of these, and need to perfect my techniques!

Jenny, HELP!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 23, 2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

This was one of the videos I saved when I was trying to figure ou how to do them!

I did not follow them exactly, I used a blend of another video that I found more helpful. I like this one because she explains how to ADD the border and allow for the extra on the end needed for the miters. I needed those details, it was my first time doing a mitered border.

And yes Jean, after watching this video I had a DUH! moment and realized I could sew the 3 border pieces together and attach them as one! Much easier. My borders all sewn together are 9", it was way better to sew them all together first. She shows how to line up pieced border seams in the miter seam, made it easy and accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukbQl...ure=plpp_video

The only thing I did differently from the second video is I didn't leave lots of fabric on the ends. My 45 degree line went from the end of the stitching in the corner to the exact center of the point on the outer end. I will NOT do that again! I will leave some room for errors. The sewing fairy had mercy on me this time and it came out right, but it was ONE stitch away from having to add a little bit extra of border to make the miter.
      Cathryn

Comment

uuh, thank you for this link.
        I wanted to ask this question for days but I just couldn't find the right word "mitered" I maybe would have asked for "diagonal" borders.. thanks again.
        Best wishes and Greetings
        Kerstin:icon_hug:

I put my rootbeer in a square cup.... now it's just beer :)

Comment

Thanks for the post. Yes, when working with more than one border and going to mitre, you sew them together and then apply them as one and then mitre.

Comment

Jean...Lynnel is correct...sew your border strips together and handle them as one unit and miter them all at one time. Otherwise, you will have to do the mitering for each border.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

look at this:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QacUM...ture=fvwp&NR=1
              she just folds and sews does that really work? looks too easy to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                Jean...Lynnel is correct...sew your border strips together and handle them as one unit and miter them all at one time. Otherwise, you will have to do the mitering for each border.
                What a pain that would be!

Comment

KerriS, Yup, it is that easy.... great for those smaller projects.. I have trouble with my larger quilts using this method as you have to get that folded the whole length for a perfect miter.
                  Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                  :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by KerriS View Post
                    look at this:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QacUM...ture=fvwp&NR=1
                    she just folds and sews does that really work? looks too easy to be right.
                    LOL! And this was my 3rd video I saved for mitered borders! The only problem I had with this method is my quilt was a LOT bigger than her little mini quilt and mine had a design that didn't fold so evenly and smoothly.

So I just lined up my border seams and used a ruler with a 45 degree line on it. I didn't have to worry about what the rest of my quilt was doing, I only had to worry about a little section on the corner.
                    Cathryn

Comment

thanks, Granny Judy, So I'll try that with placemats first...

Comment

That last video certainly was a lot easier. I haven't mitered a border in years, but I am certain that is the way I did it.

Comment

I used this technique for the mitred corners on my quilt top because it appealed to the lazy in me. I was pleased with how they came out but I will check out the other links here (always thirsty for new techniques) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pixzK9nQK_I

Comment

Molamola, you are right. That is a quick and easy technique. Seeing these easier videos makes me wonder why anyone would go through the trouble of making mitered corners like in the very first video. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                            X