Brother SE400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother SE400

I was wondering if anyone out there is using the Brother SE 400 Embroidery & Sewing Machine? My Kenmore isn't working and we went to town today and DH had me look at sewing machines. I really liked the looks of the Brother SE400. I want to be able to do some embroidery as well as regular sewing and quilting. I will not be able to get one until the end of June but I can dream until then!

Maybe I can fiddle around with my Kenmore and get it working before then. Otherwise my hands are going to be pretty sore from doing nothing but hand sewing.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Re: Brother SE400

I don't have the SE400 but I do have a Brother SE270....love it. I like Brother machines and I'm thinking about getting a new sewing machine with a larger embroidery area, of course it will be a Brother.

Good luck with whatever you choose
    Last edited by buckeyequilter; March 20, 2012, 07:34 PM.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I have a Brother PE770 embroidery machine...it's not for regular sewing or quilting, but I love it for embroidering!
      LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Hey Donna, I just purchased the Brother SE-400 two weeks ago and I love, love, love it. My 32-year old Neechi just wasn't able to sew a good stitch even after repairs and I was getting frustrated with all the baby quilts I have to quilt. I really wanted a Babylock Symphony but that is not going to happen anytime soon. I decided on the SE-400 because it had great reviews and the price was right. It had most of the features I wanted -- needle up-needle down, scissors, "cruise control" and am amazed at how beautifully quiet it sews. My sewing loft no longer sounds like I am landing airplanes up there I have not tried the embroidery yet because that was not the main reason I bought the machine (and I don't have any thread yet) but it is a plus and I am looking forward to trying embroidery over the weekend. I think it is a great machine for the money and am very pleased with mine. Good luck on your quest. Keep us posted on what you decide.
        Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
        "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

Hi Donna, My daughter-in-law has the SE400 and she loves it. This is the only machine she has. I think if I was in the market for a new machine this one would be high on my list. Joan

Comment

Theda.. thanks for the info. I will really enjoy the quietness of it too. I may be able to sew without waking up the DH! I am really looking forward to getting the machine. I don't plan on doing a ton of embroidery but making labels and maybe baby bibs will be fun.
            Donna

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

My Brother machines are quiet, I noticed the difference when I used my daughter's Kenmore. My Brother serger makes more noise than the sewing and quilting machines, but it's not extreme. My husband commented on how quiet my quilting machine is and we can have a conversation while I'm sewing. I use the embroidery feature some....been thinking I should do more...but there are so many other projects I want to do

Comment

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Last weekend no one yelled at me to stop sewing and everyone slept in. They thought I went shopping! It was awesome. My needs are met until I can afford the machine I really want and now I can put that day off a little longer. Now the only reason I still want the other machine is for the space to the righht of the needle. It is good to hear from everyone that Brothers are quiet all around too. I am really looking forward to your review. By the way, I have no affiliation with Brother other than owning one of their sewing machines.
                Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
                "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

I have the Brother SE 350 and not thrilled with the way it sews free motion (that could just be a problem I have like using the wrong thread or something), but it does sew quietly. I have not tried the embroidery part of it, but I hear it works real well. I don't think you will go wrong with getting a Brother.
                  Hugs,
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                  http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                  http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I've had a Brother SE 400 for almost a year and absolutely love it! The embroidery is really good and so easy to do. I've embroidered lightweight cotton all the way to towels. I think the main piece of advice I can give is that it is hard to find a quilting table that will fit it, but I would still highly recommend it. Also, instead of expensive stabilizers I use press and seal freezer wrap (on both sides for towels). When I use regular thread for embroidery, I usually will repeat it to make it thicker looking (yes, I do use regular thread due to the price and color restraints of embroidery thread). Other than the fact I can't spell, I've had fabulous results from it and have even been paid to embroider! I use it to piece quilts, to do FMQ (not too good yet, but...), and I make dog training aprons (has paid for my habit) and purses. This machine will do it all! Good luck and enjoy it if you get it.

Jamie

Comment

If you are thinking you might be interested in embroidery I recommend getting a machine that will do at least a 5x7 hoop. You will be limited by a 4x4 very quickly.
                      Katie's Quilting Corner
                      Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
                      Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

Comment

Thank You for all your comments and advice. I am looking forward to getting this machine in June. I have never had a sewing machine that did embroidery so I am looking forward to trying that for sure. I think 4x4 will be fine for me as a novice. Then if I get good at it, DH will have to invest in a second machine....LOL
                        Donna

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatiesQuiltingCorner View Post
                          If you are thinking you might be interested in embroidery I recommend getting a machine that will do at least a 5x7 hoop. You will be limited by a 4x4 very quickly.
                          This is so true, I didn't think I would use mine except for quilt labels. Now I am using the second one I bought to actually quilt my sandwiches. The bigger hoop is well worth the investment.
                          I do, however, like both my Brother machines.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyMtnLady View Post
                            Thank You for all your comments and advice. I am looking forward to getting this machine in June. I have never had a sewing machine that did embroidery so I am looking forward to trying that for sure. I think 4x4 will be fine for me as a novice. Then if I get good at it, DH will have to invest in a second machine....LOL
                            I've had mine for a few years and it's a 4 x 4 but now I think I'm ready for something larger. It's a wonderful machine and good for learning - I didn't even know if I would like embroidery but now there is more I want to do.

Comment

I have a Brother Innova900D...it was an upgrade from my Brother350...both are quiet and sew very well...I mostly use the larger hoop but even the smaller hoop is great for labels, small patches, lettering, etc. I love it...I broke the auto threader and had to have it fixed--the cost was very reasonable!

I read all of the reviews in some of my other forums and they mostly are good ones...the bad ones are because people failed to follow directions or learn about the new machine (tension, etc.)...I think you will be happy with it! Embroidery on a machine is very fun but time consuming...I stopped buying embroidery disks and just started downloading from online...way less expensive and instant!

I bet you are excited!

Comment

Working...
                              X