Binding Fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding Fees?

I'm doing three approx 80x80 quilts, just the quilting. It didn't include doing the bindings, she was going to do those. Now she wants me to also do the binding. Is $20 per quilt a fair price for that?
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Re: Binding Fees?

That amount is way too low. My quilter charges $50 for machine binding. You might want to check out how much M* charges.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

To low. Is it bring done by machine or hand? Machine I would charge at least $50, and that's probably still low.

Comment

I charge my "clients" 18 cents per inch I hand sew it. They seem happy with that but I was chatting with the woman who does the long arming for one couple and she says that I should charge more.
        One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Wow, too low just for the binding for one quilt?? Yes I machine sew it.

That's good to know. That way I don't have to worry that I'll have a complain that I'm charging too much. These three bindings and quilts are for my landlady. Her mother had cross stitched and put the blocks together. I had to replace three of the blocks with extras. And there was a fair amount of small stains on them that I was able to remove with a small stiff paint brush. It's been a bit of a hassle but I'm using it toward my fuel bill. I know I charged her less for the quilting portion. You know.....sometimes when you need the money you need the money :-/ She's paying for the batting and backing.
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Ok I had to look, For that size quilt MSQ charges $45 for machine binding (zig zag stitch) and $105 for hand stitching (approx $0.29 per inch).

Ladies please don't sell yourselves short, you are talented and skilled and your time is valuable! If you still want to give your customers a discounted price, be sure they know it's discounted. You don't want them referring you to others because your "cheaper", you want the referrals because you're good and appreciated!

Comment

Yes, I agree Caroline. 20 dollars for an 80 by 80 quilt is very discounted. I would expect to pay about 50.

Comment

If you want to charge $20.00 do it, it's entirely up to you, just because someone else charges more doesn't mean you have to. If your ok with it then do what you want. I would tell her your doing this just for her, not anyone else.
                When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

HaHa, this thread is reminding me why I purchased a longarm to be able to do all the quilts I knew I'd be sewing even for myself!!

ktdid, she is a special case I wouldn't be doing it for other people at this price. I'm only charging her $50 each to quilt them!!! She knows I'm charging her the bare bottom just for her. So it's only $70 per quilt with binding for three of them now. I can do each in two days. So far she's happy, I finished the one quilt and she liked it then returned it with the other two to do the binding on it. I'm pretty sure the whole order wll be done by Friday. That's a huge load off my mind as it will cover the rest of my winter fuel bill costs. I get so freaked out over that each year :-(

I probably make around 10 quilts per year to take to the craft fairs and then I do an occasional t-shirt or photo lap quilt as custom orders. I can't imagine having to send those out for quilting!!! I don't think I could afford those kinds of big bucks! I don't know how you guys do it. Oh My!

Comment

Hey Carlie! FIRST i commend you for finding a "budget fix"... not enough people understand the challenge... It is almost never impossible... I've read a lot of your posts and I truly admire you.. My younger years were filled with finding ways to "afford" things... I am blessed to have reached my 70's and am very comfortable in life... I bought a Bailey Quilting Machine about 10 years ago and LOVE it! (Learning curve a challenge,,,but that's all part of the process).... I too could not justify the pricing of sending my quilts to a longarmer...I now make quilts, sweaters for kids and all sorts of things to pass my day with a smile on my face! I sell them VERY CHEAP or donate them and love watching the smiles on peoples faces to have found something they love that they can afford! Keep on keeping on! I now have machine binding down pat and use the serpintine stitch to finish... attach from the BACK and stitch down from the front .. Takes a little more than an hour for the whole process! Keep on keeping on my friend.. Hugs, GB
                    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

GrammaBabs, good to hear from you :-) GMTA, I finally settled on doing the binding just like you do. What a relief that was :-) Initially I tried doing just a straight stitch but that always looked too messy. I kept thinking oh there's gotta be an easier way and surprise...there was!

Comment

Working...
                      X