Smelly Wool Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smelly Wool Mat

Several weeks ago MSQC had a wool mat for the daily deal but it was sold out before I got around to order, so I ordered one from Connecting Threads. It is made by Mountain Mist but it smells like a dead sheep in a barnyard. I sprayed it heavily with Febreeze and maybe the smell has faded slightly. I hesitate to wash it as wool shrinks. It even left a lingering smell on the ironing board and I don't want my quilts to smell. Has anyone else run into this problem or have any ideas what to do?

Re: Smelly Wool Mat

I don't know, but have you tried letting it sit in the sun? That helped with my stinky cutting mat.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Well it is wool and wool does have a specific smell but mostly only if wet. I have a wool pressing mat (bought at a quilt show) and it doesn't have an odor, except when I'm pressing with steam. I don't mind it myself as it smells like it does when you hand wash a wool sweater. Maybe you can contact connecting threads and return it.
      I am Sew Blessed!
      Alina

Comment

I have had the same experience as Alina (above). I only get a smell if I try to use steam. The smell drives my puppers wild and they howl wanting the mat to play with (and destroy).
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Mine is from Martelli and does not have an odor at all. Love that thing!!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

It sounds like they left quite a bit of the lanolin in it. So when it's wet it smells like sheep. When I had my sheep farm I had large equipment and use to card the fleeces into wool batting. I needed to wash the fleeces before carding or the lanolin gummed up the equipment. You do not have to scour wool to remove the lanolin. I use to put very hot water in a bathtub. Gently lay the fleece in that. No aggitation. Gently drain the tub once the water is just below lukewarm. Push the fleece gently to the side and press down gently to remove more water. Once drained push gently out of the way of the spigot and refill the tub with hot water (no soap this time). Set until just below lukewarm again and then drain same as you did before. Lay it out to air dry, turning if you have to during the drying process. You can also place a fan in front of it to keep the air circulating.

Felting occurs due to a combination of soap, aggitation and fast changes in temperature. This will get most if not all of the lanolin out of the wool. When you wash a fleece you do get weight loss anywhere from say 60% to 15% depending on the type of sheep the fleece came from. Most commercial batting type of products from the meat breeds of sheep so there will probably be a 20 to 30% weight loss. I use to raise long wooled breeds and a 10 lb fleece usually yielded 7Lbs finished weight.

You do need to do this processs gently and don't forget to put some type of strainer over your drain so you dont get fiber clogging your drains.
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels.
            When someone
            break's our wings
            we will continue to
            fly...usually on a
            broomstick.
            We're flexible like that.
            - embroitique

Comment

Funny how wool tends to smell like sheep......
              TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
                Funny how wool tends to smell like sheep......
                LOL - too funny!
                I am Sew Blessed!
                Alina

Comment

Working...
                X