Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The healing power of quilting

(Looking for input for BLOCK Magazine)
    Jenny often talks about putting your life back together “piece by piece” as you quilt. Has quilting had a healing effect in your life? I'd love to hear about it!

Re: The healing power of quilting

For many years I was simply a "quilting dabbler". But two months before my Mother passed away, she tasked me with finishing her UFO's (one of which she had prophesied 20 years earlier that I would have to finish for her) . Working on Mom's quilts helped me thru the grief process, and not only did it make me feel still connected to her even though she was gone, I inherited from finishing her projects the love of quilting. That was 5 years, and close to 100 quilts ago, and the passion for quilting is still strong as is the love and connection that I still feel for Mom.

Here's a little glimpse into my early journey :

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...92#post1069292

Comment

What a beautiful story, Caroline! I’d love to include it in BLOCK. Would that be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by CSMaddox View Post
        What a beautiful story, Caroline! I’d love to include it in BLOCK. Would that be ok?
        Certainly you may.

Comment

My dh has cancer but he is in remission. A few years ago when he was first diagnosed I vented here with my friends about how scared I was. About a month later my dh received a COC quilt made by lovely ladies here from the Forum, and me and dh both were so incredibly touched that these people who we have not personally met made this incredible quilt to comfort him during chemo treatments. It was a genuine surprise to receive it and by far one of the most wonderful gifts ever, truly from the heart. There are a lot of really good people in this world.

Comment

I started quilting five years ago, mostly because I wanted to quilt when I retired. A few years before that, I had 2 severe concussuions five months apart, stupid accidents. While still working, I struggled with multi-tasking, staying focussed, cutting out and processing exterior noise. I decided I was close enough to retire, so I did. I played memory games and Majong, but I also took a quilting class. This was my saving grace. I had to focus for cutting, assembling and quilting. It caused my brain to slow down so I could focus. Colour has always affected my mood, so my quilts are quite colourful and cheery. I always have background music, 50s to 70s, which inspires me when my mojo takes a break. In the first year I made 13 quilts, 5 king/Queen size, down to lap size. I was hooked and my brain was healing.

Fast forward a few years and a friend invited me to a group which makes quilts for patients undergoing cancer treatments- Victoria Quilts Canada. I decided to join. While in waiting room at hospital for my husband cataract surgery, a lady saw me hand-sewing Hexies. She asked what I was making. I told her it was the MSQC QAYG hexie. I told her I don't sell my quilts but I made quilts for Victoria quilts. Her mood changed. She was excited to tell me she received a quilt years ago, and the quilt was the comfort and warmth she needed while undergoing treatments. She hugged it and it was the only fabric she could stand on her skin, so soft. She looked in early 70s and in good health. I asked and she said she was cancer-free. She expressed her gratitude to all who make quilts for comfort. It was heartwarming to hear, as most of the quilts we make are turned in and we don't meet the recipients. It inspires me to continue.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I love these stories.

Comment

Working...
              X