Baby clothes input please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby clothes input please!

Well,,, i am beyond HAPPY!!! I am going to be a GG in August!
    I would be thrilled to get some input about sizes to purchase and make for a new baby! I live in MA (New England climate).... want to buy some gowns, rompers onsies.. and things to help out in the first year. If someone can suggest what is best to begin and how to increase the sizes... that would be great! I don't know any young Mothers i can ask and neither of my own have had their own children.... Now you can see why I am doing the Happy Dance GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Re: Baby clothes input please!

Congratulations! My oldest daughter just had a baby girl and to tell you the truth she got FLOODED with clothes. I think I would spend my time on special things like baby's first Christmas and Halloween etc. My dd was the happiest with a baby's 1st Christmas ornament with a name on it. lol
    Lorie

Comment

My favorite gift to new babies is a crib sized quilt. I also make flannel blankets. I hem 1 yd. cuts using the WOF. It makes a nice sized blanket -- bigger than store bought ones. I also make burp cloths. A FQ works great. Just stitch up 3 sides, RST, leaving the end open, turn right side out, then fold under & hem. I stitch all the way around. If you buy clothes, buy larger sizes that the baby can grow into. My first son weighed 9 lb. 5 oz. He barely wore those 0-3 mos. sizes. He quickly moved into 12 mos. sizes. All those little sized clothes were like new when his bro. came along.

Comment

I like useful things. I raised 5 kids and have 1 granddaughter. I would make quilts and burp rags. You go through tons of burb rags. Shabby fabrics has a wonderful tutorial. Let others buy clothes and buy the other stuff. Diapers are a huge expense. If they will be putting the baby in daycare I bought rubber labels customized for the bottles too. Can never have enough onsies...

Comment

I'd buy a special three month outfit, maybe for Christmas holidays....oh, and make a matching/coordinating quilt!

Other than that, I'd buy nine months and one year for the following spring/summer.

Congrats!

ps - I like wrapping the gifts in receiving blankets...you can never have enough of those!
          Last edited by bubba; February 13th, 2020, 07:37 PM.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

If she is going to nurse make her a couple of these.

https://craftbits.com/project/breast...nursing-cover/

or maybe this

https://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/2015/...ttern-tutorial
            Last edited by LauraP; February 13th, 2020, 07:50 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
              If she is going to nurse make her a couple of these.

https://craftbits.com/project/breast...nursing-cover/
              Yes, my dd loves using those! Another great thing for mom is nursing tops. It's hot here so her sister bought her a tank style,but there is warmer styles too. It's two layers in the front with the top layer just to under the breast. I couldn't breast feed, but that would of been my choice. Mom needs some love too
              Lorie

Comment

Congratulations, GrammaBabs! I like to make swaddling cloths out of double gauze (Rob from Man Sewing has a tutorial). Sure, you only swaddle the baby when it's a newborn, but the swaddling cloth can also be used to drape over a stroller or to cover up while nursing. Hooded towels and bibs can be used for a long time. And you can always use burp cloths.

Comment

Congrats!! Nothing better than a new baby! My daughter received tons of newborn sizes. She appreciated things in the next size rage.

Comment

I normally always give the new parents a gift certificate from J.C. Penney's photo department.
                    If I decide not to do that, I purchase larger sized clothing such as 24 months-2 T, sweatpants, leggings if it's a little girl, sweater, sweatshirts, etc.
                    I never by anything newborn, 0-3 months or every 9 months. People gift a new couple with newborn or 0-3 sizes and unless the new mom dresses the baby in cute outfits every day (I did because my DH didn't drive due to an illness) and I always put a new outfit on them after their afternoon nap so that when we went to pick up "Daddy" from his job, the kids were all dressed etc.
                    A lot of people don't put outfits on a baby for the first 0-9 months other than sleepers unless things have changed a lot.
                    Congrats on the new baby coming!
                    Enjoy!
                    HUGS 1.gif
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Congratulations. I would stay away from the NB, 0-3 mos, or anything under 9mos size. None of my GKs ever fit in NB, and were wearing 6mos within a few weeks. Having said that, many people pass on these sizes to friends as they are usually new or barely worn. I usually make large change pads, burb pads, bibs, large flannel blankets. One thing they do wear are socks, but don't get NB, and sleepers in size 12-24 mos.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Congratulations! I have to agree with others. Stay away from the smaller sizes, unless the mom is super tiny aND you think she may have a preemie. My DD also received so many clothes, the baby barely got to use them. She's now 2 1/2 and wearing size 4-5. I like to make receiving blankets like Joy, but I use 1 1/4 yds by width of fabric, so it's just a tad larger. Have received feedback from new moms that it was their favorite blankets because of the size. DD also requested more burp cloths and changing pad covers. I found tutorials online so no patterns needed.

Of course, make her a special quilt to welcome the new baby.

Comment

My DIL used the changing/play mats more than anything else. I made several and they were in use for about 4 years while the two kids were in diapers. They saw more use than any clothes could be.
                          If you really want to do clothes, I would go with 12 to 18 mo size since they grow so quickly and most people gift the very cute tiny things.

Comment

You do gorgeous crochet and knitting....I would make some items that way. Also, the mitered flannel baby blankets that Jenny does are adorable and so easy and maybe some burp pads to match. You can always pick up items after the shower(s) and fill in where there is a need. New parents can never have too many diapers. I used to buy them for my DD by the case.

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I can't wait to be a GG.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Excellent advice.... i would not have thought until too late!!! Thank You!
                              Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                              Congratulations! My oldest daughter just had a baby girl and to tell you the truth she got FLOODED with clothes. I think I would spend my time on special things like baby's first Christmas and Halloween etc. My dd was the happiest with a baby's 1st Christmas ornament with a name on it. lol
                              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                              X