Embroidery Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidery Machines

I am considering getting a new embroidery machine. I'm thinking of one that will both sew and embroider. Right now I have a small Bernette that only embroiders, and the largest hoop is about 6x8 inches. I have used it for embroidery on a number of things (shirts, bags, etc.), freestanding lace, some in the hoop projects, and for quilting a few small things (like charm square bags). I haven't even started looking in person yet, just online. Wondering what your experience has been. What kind of machine do you have, and do you like it? What's the biggest hoop size you have? Anything particular I should look for or avoid? Pros/cons of a combined machine vs. individual machines for sewing and embroidery? Thanks to all who are willing to share words of wisdom!

Re: Embroidery Machines

Cokie, I have BabyLock machines. One is an Elissimo and one is a Destiny. The Destiny is a used machine. The Elissimo also is. I found them at my local BabyLock dealer. The Elissimo is an older machine and I use it almost strictly for sewing, though there are times I use it for embroidery. Destiny has a maximum 14 x 9,5 inch hoop, Elissimo has a maximum of 8 x 12 inch hoop. I love both of my machines...they each are sewing/embroidery machines. Don't know if you have a BabyLock dealer near you, but you might find some good deals in used or consighment machines. If you have one, I think you should check it out. Actually, before the above two machines, I had a BabyLock Elegante and it was also wonderful, and I truly believe in the BabyLock products. Good luck finding the machine that works for you. Everyone has a personal preference.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I have the first Babylock Ellegante. I believe they stopped at #3. I intended to use it for both sewing and embroidery, but never really sewed on it. For as old as it is, it's like brand new. It makes the most beautiful free standing lace. I bought most of the designs from Urban Threads.

Anyway, I agree on the Babylocks. I have three. But, you have to get parts from a dealer. Some brother feet are interchangeable. Someone on this forum was nice enough to get me a foot, because my store puts all their orders for a big shipment and it would of taken forever.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

One consideration is that Brother embroidery machines--and only Brother--have an agreement with Disney. The only copyrighted authentic Disney embroidery patterns available work for Brother.

I hadn't known this when I upgraded from the little Brother SE400 to a Janome 11000. Disney designs were very important to me, so I also bought a Brother 1400 (discontinued).

Let us know when you buy a new machine!
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I have the Elna Expressive 900 ( made by Janome) and I love it. Has quite a few bells and whistles and can stitch 1000 stitches per minute. The embroidery unit is quite compact and extremely easy to switch from sewing to embroidery. It came with four hoops the largest I think is 11.2x9.2. The only drawback would be it's a heavier machine and not one I 'd be taking to classes. I have a Janome 350e just embroidery machine for that. Most of the time I have the Elna in the embroidery mode as I usually sew on my Janome 7700.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I have the Janome 15000 which is an embroidery/sewing combo machine which I just love. It can do so much. I also have the Janome 6600 that I can use when embroidering designs that take a bit of time to complete.
            Things to consider: do you have an extra back up machine in the unlikely event the new machine has to go into the shop for whatever reason. Space for a combo machine. The 15000's embroidery arm is behind the machine instead of the side like most others, thereby needing less side to side space. (that was a deciding factor for me Space).
            Since you haven't actually been to any dealers to see machines in person, maybe go to the websites of the brands you are considering and see the features and included feet, hoops, etc. Frankly it is mind boggling what the newer embroidery machines can do! Janome also listed MSRP for their machines but you can generally get a lower price at the dealers. Janome also recently came out with two new machines the Continental M7 and an embroidery only 550E.
            Can you tell I just love the Janome's????? lol
            Check out the Janome machines here:
            https://www.janome.com/products/mach...hoCIY4QAvD_BwE

Comment

I have done the set-up with separate machines. One for sewing only and one for embroidery only. You don't have to change out the machine arm or feet if you have two stand alone machines. You just need room to have both machines set up.

Last year, I bought the Luminaire (combo unit) and still have the other sewing machine too. I like the features and the larger screen to see the design. Various hoop sizes up to 10 1/2 x 16 inches. You can create stippling or use a decorative fill for quilting ITH. The machine is wireless so you can send designs right to the machine for embroidery. The camera feature is a favorite as you can see the design on the fabric. Perfect placement of designs or mirror images. I stitch every day

Consider how you like to use your machines and the set up. What type of projects do you like to do? Will you take the time to learn the machine and features? Schedule a couple of demo times at the local dealer if you can. I visited the same dealer 3 times for different machines before the final purchase.

Good luck!

Comment

One consideration is that Brother embroidery machines--and only Brother--have an agreement with Disney. The only copyrighted authentic Disney embroidery patterns available work for Brother.

I hadn't known this when I upgraded from the little Brother SE400 to a Janome 11000. Disney designs were very important to me, so I also bought a Brother 1400 (discontinued).

Let us know when you buy a new machine!
                Hi Guitar Gramma
                just for your info,
                there was a huge who ah in UK over Disney designs (for card kits a while back) they were sold as make and sell angel policy in the first show, anyhow the card kit seller changed, the angel policy in the next show to, can make them use for own purposes, do not sell anything with the Disney design on, Disney still owns the Copyright and has the right to take legal action.
                does this apply to the brother embroidery Disney designs? I do not know,
                just be aware you may need to ask permissions if want to sell something with a Disney design on..
                Have fun creating
                T

Comment

I am on my third embroidery machine. I've had a brother, a Bernette and now have a Bernina 570 that sews and embroiders.

I love my 570, it works like a trooper. I have my dealer (sewing machine not drugs) and I'm on my 7th machine I have bought from him. I suggest getting something that gives classes with the purchase, it helps to learn the new machine.

Good luck and I hope you find a great machine.

Comment

I have a Janome 15000 it has a very big hoop, which I rarely use, it has 4 hoops from very small to about 9” by 12”, but I’ve done a lot of embroidery with it using mostly the middle two sizes. There are so many companies out there with awesome embroidery designs. I’d get a machine where the designs are easy to transfer from downloads to machine, and the biggest hoop within your price range. I owned 3 Janome embroidery machines, 8000, 9000, and 10000. The first two had proprietary cards for their designs. The 10000 did have a way to get online designs into the matching, but it wS cumbersome. I bought my machine at a Jenny Haskins embroidery event. So in addition to getting a good price on my machine, I got a full set (175) spools of threads, patterns, a huge case with every kind of stabilizers sold by Jenny Haskins, AN IPAD! ( the 15000 has WiFi) and through Sychrony bank I financed the machine for 48 months 0% financing. I have bought most of my many machines in the past 10 years using this financing.

Comment

I have a Husquvarna/Viking Designer Topaz 50 which I totally enjoy. The biggest hoop I've found is the mega which is 10" square or 260 mm. The smallest is 1.6" round or 4 mm.

Things to think about:
                      do your favorite designs come in a usable format with your machine
                      what designs and stitches are built in. If you are going to quilt with it make sure you have a 1/4" foot and stitch
                      how many hoops are available and how costly are they, I prefer magnetic ones
                      where can you get the hoops. Check ebay and see if used ones are available, make sure they are for your machine not just brand (ask me how I know)
                      do they have a user group on line to answer question
                      is there a repair/service center handy. Not everyone who sells them works on them.
                      what if you move, will services be easy to find
                      do you know anyone who has one for "right now hands on" help
                      sigpic

Comment

Just know that embroidery is an expensive hobby- more so than just sewing. The stabilizers, thread, etc. And I recommend classes. I have a janome 300e I found at a bargain but with no dealers nearby I have had to muddle through learning how to use it. I have been considering getting a brother or babylock or pfaff so I can take classes at the dealers and have some technical support. I will say mine
                        stitches wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by 201 Treadler View Post
                          Hi Guitar Gramma
                          just for your info,
                          there was a huge who ah in UK over Disney designs (for card kits a while back) they were sold as make and sell angel policy in the first show, anyhow the card kit seller changed, the angel policy in the next show to, can make them use for own purposes, do not sell anything with the Disney design on, Disney still owns the Copyright and has the right to take legal action.
                          does this apply to the brother embroidery Disney designs? I do not know,
                          just be aware you may need to ask permissions if want to sell something with a Disney design on..
                          Have fun creating
                          T
                          Thanks, Treadler. I use the Disney designs for grandchildren, not to sell the garments, so I haven't looked into that aspect of the Brother designs. And while you are able to get unofficial Disney designs for probably any brand of embroidery machine, I really do try to follow copyright laws.

I just wanted Cokie to know that Brother—and only Brother—has permission from Disney to sell Disney patterns. For some people, that's a huge issue. I probably should have added that I have loved both my Brother embroidery machines. They are strong and reliable.
                          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I have Bernina’s
                            They are AWESOME!
                            I have 2 that sew and embroider
                            730 & 830
                            They are amazing workhorses
                            And the software you can add on is limitless!
                            Happy Quilting!

Comment

I have the topaz 50 by Husqvarna too. Its relatively easy to learn. It will embroider thru quilts which I really like. As mentioned, embroidering by machine can be pretty expensive but the topaz will use almost any thread and designs are readily available on line. Comes with a free software program too. The plus is that it has a large throat for quilting and does a great job for FMQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X