Price to make baby quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price to make baby quilt

Hi friends, its been awhile since I posted. I have a question. A co worker has asked if I will make a baby quilt for her new niece/nephew arriving in May. She will by all material except batting. Its an easy pattern with an applique in the center then quilting and binding. How much do I charge her since she will supply most materials? Thanks all.
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Re: Price to make baby quilt

What would you charge if you bought it all? If you would normally charge $100 for a baby quilt, my guestimate for fabric is $30, so I would charge her $70. It needs to be based on what you think your time is worth plus batting cost.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

That's about what I've done Karen depending on how easy the pattern is. I've done several for friends. It seems to work out pretty well
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I don't usually quilt for money, but I did one last summer. I provided the fabrics based on the parent's colour and style choice. It was simple squares with orange peel quilting. Backing was flannel. I charged $150CDN.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

You didn't say what size the quilt will be. In my area, many folks don't understand and/or appreciate the work that goes into making a quilt. Our guild had a quilt show last fall and priced a few quilts that we'd made as a group. We had an approx. 50" x 60" Majestic Mountains batik quilt machine quilted using a pantograph priced at $75. The batik fabric was donated by Hoffman Fabrics and the background fabric and quilting thread came from my stash. A remark was overheard that it was really pretty but priced too high. Really ticked me off because I assembled the quilt top and quilted it. We decided if we were expected to give it away we'd donate it to a child in need.
          *~* Myrna *~*
          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I was approached by a friend to wanted to buy one of my baby quilts. I don't sell them; most are donated. I keep a few around for my own gifting to families that I know. I pretty much know how much I put into it to construct it. She persisted and since I knew the recipient, I charged her my material cost which was ~$65. Selling them would take all the pleasure of making them. I see many at craft and quilt show sales priced at fair prices, but folks generally are buying because they think the prices are high! Duh! They are more than fair. $75 for a lovely handmade quilt of quality fabric which will last longer than that cute little newborn outfit you just dumped $25 on and the baby will wear it for what....maybe a couple of times.
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by MHG Winnower View Post
              I was approached by a friend to wanted to buy one of my baby quilts. I don't sell them; most are donated. I keep a few around for my own gifting to families that I know. I pretty much know how much I put into it to construct it. She persisted and since I knew the recipient, I charged her my material cost which was ~$65. Selling them would take all the pleasure of making them. I see many at craft and quilt show sales priced at fair prices, but folks generally are buying because they think the prices are high! Duh! They are more than fair. $75 for a lovely handmade quilt of quality fabric which will last longer than that cute little newborn outfit you just dumped $25 on and the baby will wear it for what....maybe a couple of times.
              I totally agree with you. My husband wants me to sell my quilts at cost to recoup money to buy fabric for other quilts. I told him that making them for sale would take all the fun out of it. I like giving them to people and bringing the joy of surprise to them. As you said...even at cost, people act like you are overcharging them. I make quilts out of love. Not to feel like I’m committing highway robbery.
              Bec

Comment

Working...
              X