Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the new Quilt Class style in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the new Quilt Class style in your area?

So there is a relatively young (3 years I believe) quilt shop in the area. Since it looks like I'll be staying in one location for a while I checked out their classes. I remember the days when I could take a class and learn a block or a simple project.

I was surprised that 80% of the classes are part of a series - like a block of the month club. Sit and sew one day a month for a year at $30 a lesson/session (NO fabric included and usually need a special ruler they sell.) And then there is also the Tucker University classes too - naturally you have to buy a particular Tucker tool.

Oh, and you can't bring your own machine to any of their classes ... they provide the machines. The brand they provide is the brand they sell. The reason they gave was if something goes wrong with the machine they would be able to fix it.

I don't think I'll be going to take any of their classes. $360 just for classes plus materials seems too high for me. A couple of years ago I took a class using a shop-provided machine and spent most of my time trying to figure out how to use it. In fact spent 5 minutes and finally asked where the thread went ... the spindle was under a flip-up flap on the top of the machine.

Just wondering if this is a growing trend in your area ....
    Last edited by Judy, USMC; February 1st, 2020, 06:42 AM.

Re: Is this the new Quilt Class style in your area?

I have taken classes where it was between 3 & 6 classes as it was for larger more complex quilts which could require a teacher's assistance. Some LQS that follow you for BOM. These are more expensive and may require special tools, which you can buy or not while you are taking class. Most classes I have taken offer a discount on everything you buy while taking a class, so a bonus.

One shop has a tool of the day - once or twice month where they demo a new ruler or tool. No cost except if you buy it, which they offer at discount.

All the LQS say to bring your own machine and manual in case. I prefer this. When I go home I like to start / finish a project on same machine. A few offer their machines if it's too difficult to bring yours. Many shops offer a sew day for minimal cost or club for free. It makes sense from business perspective. Anytime you increase traffic in a shop, sales generally increase.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

One of my LQS partnered with a manufacturer last year. They got a bunch of new machines for classroom; you have to use their machines. They also provide tools. This model has not worked well for them, I think they are going out of business. Their calendar of classes is practically non-existent, just a few basic trainings on their machines. They keep reducing the hours they are open, and they are having a huge "inventory" sale right now. We're talking 53% off plus an inventory closeout section with steeper discounts.

The other LQS you have to bring your own machine. They have one-class projects and blocks of the month. They are usually pretty reasonable.

Comment

Our LQS wants you to bring you own machine. If they are teaching a certain method or using a certain tool, those are sold at a discount, but one is not required to buy it from them. You could buy things elsewhere & bring them with you. That seems pretty steep for classes. I wouldn't be taking any there, either.

Comment

Most of our local shops here have classes that last from 3-8 hours where you learn a particular skill. Bringing your own machine and tools-some may require you purchase a special ruler or tool-often they supply the kit to use or supply a list of fabrics required. Quite a few of the locals shops have a open sew one day a week with a small fee of $2-5.
          Judy, you will have to make the trip up this summer and take a class with me.
          One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

The one quilt shop in my area offers classes where you can learn a particular block or technique. You bring your own machine and any other tools you use. They furnish the space and the instructor and you can buy fabric at the store if you wish. Prices are reasonable too.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I have 3 LQS close to me that I frequent. Classes are different at each. Some are tied to embroidery machines. The one I like the most has a variety of classes that are taught by local guild members. You bring your own machine. They don't sell machines. Many of the classes are project based, and they do have some classes that are once a month for a quarter. While they don't require that you purchase from them, they do offer discounts on any supplies for the class. They also offer free use of the classroom on Fridays for free sewing. I hope to take more classes there when I retire again.

Comment

I only have one LQS and it is 45 minutes away. I wish they offered classes that interested me, but similarly ours is a dealer for a particular machine and most of the classes revolve around embroidery with said machine. Other classes are long term financial investments like you mentioned. They do offer a one day a week to come use the studio and sew what you like with other quilters for a $15 fee. That has always seemed a bit steep to me, but probably because I got back into sewing during the recession so as not to lose my mind and we were so broke. I still wish it were $10, but I am hoping to go just to go socialize with other fellow quilters and make some new friends. (I live in the boonies and don't have any friends who quilt. I did just join a guild that I am looking forward to getting more active with later this spring though! However even they are 40 minutes away.) I have long wished my quilt shop offered a better variety of classes. I thought it was just mine.

Comment

Those shops are in the business to make money, they need to do that to be able to stay in business.
                  If you want instruction in techniques or patterns a guild is probably your best bet for reasonably priced sew days or instructors/classes.
                  I know some places don't have a guild, so sorry if you don't. The church our guild met at previously had their own group of folks that met on Saturdays to sew, you might check around for that. Most people that sew are very welcoming.
                  Last edited by Claire Hallman; February 1st, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

My LQS has a nice variety of classes for quilting, bags, rugs, assorted crafts and garment sewing and they're for all levels of ability. They only have a few long-term classes going on at any given time. Most are just one day and they're reasonable. They don't sell sewing machines (they do sell mid/longarms) so it's bring your own.
                    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I took a couple of classes at Mary Jo's before we moved/ before they closed. It was a specific skill based class and I had a coupon for the one day course. I brought everything I needed, but after she demonstrated a CG ruler, I went and bought one of those!

I took a class on FMQ, it too was a one day, bring your own stuff. I really enjoyed it as well.

At this point, I really don't even look at what's being offered here. The classes would be an hour away, and transportation would be more challenging than it's worth.
                      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I have never been to a class where your own machine is not a requirement. You should sew the entire quilt on the same machine so every thing is consistent.

All BOMs I have done were the same....$5 at the first meeting, you get the directions and a little packet of fabric to sew the block. As long as the block was complete at the next class, there was no charge and you got the next block to do. There was no sewing at these meetings. She would go over how to do the block and then talk about new products and fabrics. There was always a show and tell time as well. Near the end of the year, they would sell finishing kits, which were around $125.
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

The local one near me is same, use their special machines etc. The class is right at front door area and not enough room to stand up. To be honest I rather learn from Jenny and buy from Jenny. You may find someone who teaches in their home in your area.. There are 2 here and one lady named Ruth is really good. I live in Canada so prices here are a bit insane anyways, so I am very glad of Jenny's tutorials

Comment

Shame on that instructor if she didn't walk around and make sure that everyone didn't have their machine up and running. Reminds me of a class where everything I did was criticized by the instructor in a high and mighty way. I never, ever took another class there.
                            Most of her 'advice' was just her personal preference. I really should have told the owner but I chickened out. If it happened now, I'd tell the instructor.
                            My favorite shop here in FL offers very reasonable classes from about $12-40. They also run clubs on Saturdays that focus on a specific technique like paper Piecing. Those are $5. There is a free Sit and Sew on Fridays. They have a punch card to earn rewards too. They don't sell machines so you bring your own.

Comment

Working...
                            X