Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUPER EASY CURVES!!! - Free "Cathedral Stars" Quilt Pattern!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUPER EASY CURVES!!! - Free "Cathedral Stars" Quilt Pattern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNic2BkaXKE

Enjoy !
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Re: SUPER EASY CURVES!!! - Free "Cathedral Stars" Quilt Pattern!

I love this! I don't know if I can do it, but I love it!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Yes I like it too.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I like it. Years ago, when I had a lot more patience...if I had seen a video of this, I would have jumped right in and tried this pattern. Today, not so much!
        Last edited by sew-what2015; January 28th, 2020, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Wow!! Really like this one!

Comment

I saw this last night and thought --- uhm. Do I give it try, maybe if I get really bored and want something different.

There is no dispute, it is gorgeous.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I love this, love anything that gives the impression of curves. I guess this will be on my ever growing list of things to do. It really looks great in the blue/yellow colorway.

Comment

I am sincerely sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a blatant copy of a COPYRIGHTED design that has been out for years.
                http://www.southwindquilts.com/shop/...sku-SWD303.htm
                mexicanstars_1image.jpg

I honestly didn't think Donna was this kind of person.
                Last edited by DeniseSm; January 28th, 2020, 08:04 AM.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have a hard time going back and forth. Lets try this.

cathedral_stars.jpgmexicanstars.jpg

Is there much of a difference to call it your own. I won't weigh in on that, but I do see more of the 'illusion' in the first one.
                  Last edited by Hulamoon; January 28th, 2020, 11:08 AM.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

yep, Mexican stars, ten minute or five minute block, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                      I am sincerely sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a blatant copy of a COPYRIGHTED design that has been out for years.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]162478[/ATTACH]

Just got an email back from Jordan Fabrics that explains how Donna is able to use that pattern: Her pattern is not a violation of copyright as she wrote her version, which is changed from the original version. The patterns are somewhat different and Donna is able to show this pattern and allow the PDF be shared. I tried to put a copy of the email in this post, but I can't figure out how to.
                      Last edited by cv quilter; January 28th, 2020, 01:35 PM.
                      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I was able to figure out how to post the letter explaining about the copyright.

***From Karen*** No, you didn't figure it out. What you posted was a link to Yahoo email and it is useless to anyone that doesn't have your password. The link you shared has been removed for that reason. You would have to copy and paste the body of the email to share it.
                        Last edited by K. McEuen; January 28th, 2020, 08:53 PM.
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]162478[/ATTACH]

The block has been around for ages. It's the layout that is different. For one thing Donna's doesn't have the flying geese in the corners, and secondly her quilt has the same number of squares, but is twice the size.

I've heard it said "There's nothing new under the sun". I know I have put together a quilt that I created out of my own imagination, only to find later one on the internet that looks ALOT like mine. Well I know they didn't copy me, cause mine never made it to the internet in any fashion, and I know I didn't copy them either.

So to accuse Donna (or anyone else) of a "blatant copy of a COPYRIGHTED" is probably a bit overboard.

Comment

Changing the size of the blocks does not change the layout or the design It is the same block, with the same sashing and cornerstones, the same layout and the same border. Making a modest modification, like removing the flying geese in the corners, does not void the copyright protection.

The Mexican Stars design has been out for years. It was Southwind Designs best selling design. She even taught this design in quilt cruises.

I stand by my opinion, using a side by side comparison, that this is a blatant copy of a COPYRIGHTED design. I would say this to Donnas face and in fact have posted this accusation under her you video.

We are quilters. We are a force for good. Stealing someones design and livelihood is not right.

And for what is worth Southwind Designs agrees in the violation and is in contact with Donna Jordan about her copying their design.
                            Last edited by DeniseSm; January 28th, 2020, 06:34 PM.
                            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I appreciate all that I've learned from Donna's videos! I don't think she is 'this kind of person', but to avoid this type of situation in the future she could simply state that this is her variation on the original pattern by Southwind Designs called Mexican Stars. I really like the clean simplicity of her version.

Comment

Working...
                              X