Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUPER EASY CURVES!!! - Free "Cathedral Stars" Quilt Pattern!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SUPER EASY CURVES!!! - Free "Cathedral Stars" Quilt Pattern!

Karen, so sorry. When I posted it seemed to open the content. Apologies. Thanks for telling me how to do that in future.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

To be a "blatant copy" and a violation of copyright it would have to be identical and sold as an "original design." Reproducing Southwind Designs patterns and slapping ones logo on it, and offering it for sale would be a "blatant violation.

Donna Jordan did neither of these. She didn't even call it by the same name. What she is guilty of is taking a basic design, which has probably been around longer than Annette Ornelas, and modifying it to suit her tastes, simplify the techniques, and memorialize her work in the form of a free pattern to you- documenting how she did it. That is not blatant copyright theft or even a violation.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Southwind's version is an adaptation of another design. By your definition that is blatant copying.

Ms. Jameson- here's the copy of the reply to your comment in the video. "It is similar to that pattern, but uses different sizes and techniques for cutting and sewing." She makes no claims about originality, only that she is drafting out the pattern as she's doing it. She doesn't owe anyone any more than this.

By the same logic one could claim that the Ametrine block you entered in the contest was a blatant ripoff too- but only after you complained about (NOT) being credited with the design. It wasn't your design to claim.

If we followed your interpretation of copyright protection there would be very few patterns for sale, since most are adaptations of something else. I don't know what the problem is with you and "copyrights" is, but you need to change your saddle. The one you're using definitely has a burr under it.
      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Oldmanquilts, I can only hit the thanks button once, so I'll say thanks here to you again.

I've gotten to the point that I don't even feel comfortable posting pictures of my finished quilts in this forum, because sometimes I see a picture of a quilt that I love, and am able to figure out how to do it without paying for the pattern, and I would be greatly disappointed to be accused of denying someone their livelihood or copyright infringement.

Perhaps Denise should also be reminded of the definition of "Libel" and she should be more cautious of her statements on the internet.

Comment

The best thing to do in this situation is to privately email, not openly say on a forum, or any other platform. Reputations can easily be damaged and people can be very hurt.

Comment

Can I ask a question. I keep looking at Donnas quilt and it reminded me of the Storm at Sea patterns

https://lindafranz.com/galleries/storm-at-sea-quilt/41

Are these patterns a cousin ( don't know what word to use) of those?
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lorie, the Storm at Sea patterns certainly bear a strong resemblance to Donna's quilt. The difference, though, is that the Storm at Sea gives the illusion of curved lines by pairing the square-within-a-square blocks with the diamond-within-a rectangle blocks. But it's just an illusion. Storm at Sea is made using straight seams only. Donna stretches the bias grain and rolls it over, creating a true curve, not just an optical illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
                Karen, so sorry. When I posted it seemed to open the content. Apologies. Thanks for telling me how to do that in future.
                It would open for you, as it was your email and you were signed in. I just didn't want others clicking and commenting it didn't work, or if there was any chance of some spammer or hacker getting into your email through the link. I stopped using my yahoo email years ago after it was hacked by someone that sent out letters to my contact list asking for money because I supposedly got stuck in London.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Pattern copyright covers the written words, the images (pattern pieces) etc. in a quilt or bag pattern.

It does not cover the idea, shape or techniques used. How many different patterns have you seen for a Rail Fence block? When Craftsy was Craftsy and you could find what you were looking for, there had to be at least 20 or more, for a block that almost anyone could make without a pattern. Making a similar pattern does not violate copyright, but taking any parts or images and using them, or copying nstructions word fr word and using them as your own is a violation of said copyright.

If someone looks at a picture of a finished quilt and figures out how to make it and sits and types out a how they did it here, that isn't a violation of copyright.. If someone used a pattern and typed it out here, word for word, or posted a picture or copy of the pattern, then it most certainly is a violation.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                    I am sincerely sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a blatant copy of a COPYRIGHTED design that has been out for years.
                    http://www.southwindquilts.com/shop/...sku-SWD303.htm
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]162478[/ATTACH]

I honestly didn't think Donna was this kind of person.
                    You seem to have a big problem about STEALING designs, maybe you should contact Donna again and accuse her of stealing Henry Glass's "Pearl" pattern. Henry Glass.jpg
                    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                    Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                      It would open for you, as it was your email and you were signed in. I just didn't want others clicking and commenting it didn't work, or if there was any chance of some spammer or hacker getting into your email through the link. I stopped using my yahoo email years ago after it was hacked by someone that sent out letters to my contact list asking for money because I supposedly got stuck in London.
                      Thank you, Karen. I appreciate that. Never thought of that. The response from Jordan Fabrics to Denise's comment on the comment section basically is what my email said. No copyright issue there.
                      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I blocked a few posters who write upsetting things to others. easy to do and can always be changed again. I like to smile when reading quilting posts. Helps make my day.

Comment

Working...
                        X