Since we're taclking about scraps ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we're taclking about scraps ....

Scrap storage was addressed on another thread. I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I'm working on a project that has used up a vast majority of my stash. The block is based on the Ocracoke Cracker Quilt. (Ocracoke is one of the islands that makes up the Outer Banks here in NC.)

Although all the blocks I've made are for the 2019 hurricane Dorian affected residents, there's nothing saying y'all couldn't use this pattern for your own use. It's meant to be a scrappy pattern and is made from 2 inch strips. The only pattern I have is in this blog: http://islandtimequilting.blogspot.com/2019/09/ It is the original posting/announcement and there is a link for an alternate layout in October.

I make the strip sets and another retired Gunny puts on the setting triangles. So far we've given Lori enough for 2 complete tops. Lori, project organizer, is a professional long-armer and will turn these blocks into completed quilts. This is a project I'll be involved with into May 2021.

So as you are going through your scraps please keep me in mind especially if you find anything during your organizing that you know you won't use. I'm at the point I where I need to purchase all types of cotton scraps that I can cut into 2x6.5 inch strips. Solid black & solid white won't work but any other colors will work wonderfully. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Edited to add: All the leftover trimmings go to a lady who makes dog beds for our animal shelter - Win-Win!
    Last edited by Judy, USMC; January 26th, 2020, 01:59 AM.

Re: Since we're taclking about scraps ....

That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Really like these! TFS
      Donna

Comment

Judy, remind me in September to pack up some strip scraps for you and I will bring them to the retreat.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks, Karen! I plan on working on them during the retreat. Goal is to get 1 a month done during the next 16 months. If my math is correct it takes about 90 feet of 2 inch strips per top. I know it busted my stash real quick.

Comment

Oh, Judy, I wish I would have known this back in late summer when I was packing up my house to move out. I gave a lot of my stash to my quilt guild's comfort quilts. I could have given some to you. I have unpacked most of my stuff but it just sits in bags, piles, etc waiting for somewhere to put everything. Not sure what is there, but will certainly keep you in mind when I start organizing my sewing room and either send it to you or take it out to the retreat.

Nancy

Comment

Judy ~ I checked that link. That looks like an interesting project. That pattern certainly is an easy one & a great scrap buster. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - Did you ever get your house all fixed after the hurricane damage?

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                BTW - Did you ever get your house all fixed after the hurricane damage?
                Thanks for thinking of me ... But no ... still have the temporary fix. There was more damage than originally estimated that needs to be addressed. Looks like a springtime start since they may have to "open up" the entire addition roof. Wouldn't pay to start now and pay a huge heat bill.

Comment

Working...
                X