Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good morning, I’m new to this so this may be a silly question on washing finished quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, I’m new to this so this may be a silly question on washing finished quilts

I’ve been making simple tied baby quilts that are beautiful. They have been washing fine after I’m done. My latest did not however. So much work and decision making had gone into it, I’m sooo disappointed. The fabric is so wrinkled. I washed cold water, low heat and removed promptly. I was going to gift it and am glad I washed it first. Any suggestions? It’s light colored cotton. Thank you so much

Re: Good morning, I’m new to this so this may be a silly question on washing finished quilts

What kind of fabric was it? Not all cottons behave the same way. Was it a blend?

Welcome too!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Re: Good morning, I’m new to this so this may be a silly question on washing finished quilts

Just give it a good pressing.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

its 100% cotton. It seemed more crinkly than usual. I will press it too. Does the fabric detergent make a difference? This was All free and clear. Thank you for the pointers.

Comment

I'm curious of the manufacturer? For instance I won't use kona cotton because it's thick, itchy and wrinkles. It takes a lot of steam and very hot iron. Some people love it because of the nice colors, but I can't stand it, so I use bella for solids.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

100% cotton from Joanne’s, hobby lobby and a quilting store

Comment

Various manufacturers. Maybe the detergent

Comment

Most likely the batting is the culprit. Did you use different batting this time?
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

I agree, batting is more likely the culprit in this, there are so many variables with how a quilt will end up looking depending on the type of batting used.

Comment

If the quilt is only being tied how could it be tight enough to be the batting?
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Jewelbies, I would just like to tell you that if you don't know the answer to something ask, No Question is ever dumb if you need information. Welcome to the board.

Comment

Interesting. Thank you

Comment

I was using left overs and maybe it was thicker. I’m going to try a stitch in the ditch and get thinner batting. Thank you

Comment

Batting may be the issue. I’ll keep experimenting. Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                            X