• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMG
    replied
    Re: Not sure what to do

Originally posted by lots2do View Post
    Good luck! I bet you'll get some great ideas when you go to Ikea. But, before you go, you could make a drawing of your space on graph paper and also draw your furniture pieces on graph paper, cut them out and shift them around to explore the possibilities.
    This is a great idea! My sewing/craft/office/guest room is nearly all ikea - it was affordable & all the pieces look good together. Mostly I have the inexpensive white table tops all along the wall of windows (I had to add shades for sunny days!); I have a no small one, a looooong one and a corner one (laptop & monitors are on that one). The long one has a center keg to stabilize it and two drawer units on each end instead of legs - sewing notions in one, offuce supplies etc in the other. I have the wide rolling Alex drawers under the short table- I have pegboard in the top drawer for thread, the rest hold pre-cuts and larger-than-a-fat-quarter-but-less-than-a-yard remnants. I have two Kallax shelves on the wall that hold yardage & pattern books. I just bought an inexpensive doing cart with 10 frosted white plastic drawers for storing scraps by color.

I think out of everything, the rolling Alex drawer is my favorite. I can roll it next to me & it becomes a trimming/ironing station too.

Leave a comment:

• lots2do
    replied

Good luck! I bet you'll get some great ideas when you go to Ikea. But, before you go, you could make a drawing of your space on graph paper and also draw your furniture pieces on graph paper, cut them out and shift them around to explore the possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• BethB
    replied

Thanks everyone. There are some great ideas here. This room is a little larger than my sewing room at my other house (that was about 8 x 8), however, one wall has the door into the room, the next wall has a door to a bathroom and the closet door, one wall has a huge window that takes up a good portion of the wall and the last wall is just a wall. I have one table in there that used to be used as our computer table. It is from IKEA and I think it is adjustable. My original idea was to use it as a cutting table but I don't think it will fit in the space between the bathroom door and closet door. I will also need to get another table for my one sewing machine --- hopefully one that it can fit into and be even with the table top. That will make FMQ easier.

KarenC - I have unpacked about 15 boxes and still have about 12 more to go (just in my sewing room). So far there has been several finished pieced quilt tops, fabric, unfinished projects, fabric. notions, fabric, patterns, fabric, thread, etc. Hard to believe I gave away 3 plastic bags full of fabric to my guild's comfort quilts.

ilive2craft2 - The Alex storage drawers from Ikea are one of the items on my list to possibly purchase. My older son gave me a gift card to Ikea for Christmas so I am waiting to make the trip to a store.

CarolineT - the closet in the room is 5 ft front to back, and 4 ft 11 in side to side. There is also a shelf in there --- like there would be in any closet.

Chelea - I like your idea of using an Ikea picture ledge with ruler stands on them and then hooks underneath for scissors and cutters. I have put that on my Ikea list.

I will figure this all out eventually.

Nancy

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I prefer to keep my stash behind closed doors vs in plain view, so I have storage cabinets. I would buy some sturdy shelving units and line the walls with them and use the sturdy fabric storage containers like Dollar General sells. I understand your dilema. Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

I have small clear plastic boxes with separators that I bought at Bass Pro for my needle packages for the machine. It works great, portable and sorted. Just wanted to add that those small tackle boxes were probably meant for fishing flies or jigs or something.

Leave a comment:

• Rhonda K
    replied

The closet for storage in the sewing is 5 feet wide x 2 feet deep. So it's small.

I have the adjustable wire shelving with brackets. This allows me to change the shelf heights if needed. Fabric is ruler folded with a 6 1/2 ruler. There are 8 stacks of fabric on each shelf.

Other shelves hold the scrapbook containers. These hold various supplies; zippers, notions, machine accessories, special projects, etc.

I also use the wire basket units from c*ontain*er store. They are practical for storage as you can design them according to needs by width, height or depth of drawers. One six drawer unit holds all the embroidery and serger threads. Another small one rolls under the desk. It holds scraps, etc.

Needles are stored in a small container with dividers.

I don't like those plastic unit either for storing heavy fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• Juliebelle
    replied

I recently redid my sewing room and we bought these bookcases from lowes home improvement, they work great in my space and for the 2 of them is was not very expensive
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied

Hi Nancy! My sewing room is just 9x11' so this should give you some hope. I have a lot crammed in here.
    I have a 7' wide closed that spans almost one wall, with shallow adjustable shelving that covers most of it. I can fit big plastic bins at one end.
    The next wall has a built-in 5 drawer bureau. That's where the bulk of my fabric is stored. On that wall is also the cutting table (an old kitchen table, about 4 ft long so it fits my 36" mat perfectly). Above the cutting table I have those picture ledges from Ikea. These are just deep enough to hold 2 wooden ruler holders. Just under the picture ledges I have an Ikea rod, the kind you'd put in the kitchen, with hooks that hold all my scissors and cutters. Under the table I have 2 big plastic tubs and a set of those cheapo plastic drawers. I rarely need to open any of them so they work fine.
    The 3rd wall has my design wall with the ironing board in front of it.
    On the 4th wall I have a small Ikea rolling cart, a small bookcase and a 6ft banquet table (the folding kind but it's old and sturdy). That table fits my main machine and I also have 2 of my other machines on it, pushed against the wall. The table is 30" deep and I really love having all that room.
    My sewing room is off to the side in our finished basement so I don't have windows, but other than that it's perfect for me.
    Hopefully this gives you some ideas. I'd start with the closet. Could you get some shelving installed? You could stuff the plastic bins in the closet for now, just to make room while you set up your machine. I think a sewing room evolves over time with little tweaks here and there until you get it just the way you want it.
    Last edited by chelea; January 10th, 2020, 01:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

If there is slider doors on the closet, I'd get rid of them and have like a cute curtain in place of the doors. My dh won't let me take the doors down. But sometimes they are just in the way. I second the idea of shelving, that is what I did and I love it. Then I have clear plastic boxes with labels so I can find (or try to anyways) my fabric that I want. Have fun with the planning.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

My sewing room is in a bsmt. BR. Feel free to browse my Sewing Room album. Different things work for different folks. I use those stainless steel shelving units; ours are on rollers (DH installed them) so the units can be moved out for cleaning. They're very sturdy & hold a lot. I use various sizes of plastic containers; my fabrics are organized by color or theme or designer. I personally don't care to have my fabrics on boards exposed to light & dust. I have several plastic drawer units for fabrics & thread & notions. My cutting board is in the family room adjacent to the sewing room.

Leave a comment:

• dwil23
    replied

All great suggestions! Each persons space, stash and budget are unique. I would suggest shopping either online or in person at IKEA, the Container Store, Home Depot and Lowes for what is available in your budget. Those rolling carts are great for precuts, and if they were under a shelf or table where nothing could be put on top they would be fine. After you have decided your needs - don't forget to checkout your local craigslist/ facebook marketplace/yard sales, etc for used items. I see great stuff for storage around here all the times. Think outside the box, too!

Leave a comment:

• lourixe
    replied

I don't know how much fabric you have. Most people use bookshelves to display theirs. In my case I don't have much of a stash and my sewing room is so sunny I feared it would fade the fabrics, so I keep them in Ikea dressers that are the perfect heigth so that I use their top as cutting surface.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

Oh please please please, can I come help? ��. I love planning storage ideas and organizing stuff.

I would start with the closet. Assuming the closet is 4 feet deep and 5 feet wide....
    Backwall...lots of Rubbermaid plastic coated wire shelves using the adjustable height track system, so they could accommodate your needs. Leaving at least two feet below last shelf clear so you can put a couple of large storage totes or those two storage drawers you already mentioned, on the floor.

Then I would hang a piece of pegboard on one of the side wall for rulers, templates and other notions.

On the other side wall, I would install a shallow shelving system, again Rubbermaid makes one for pantry storage that is shallow enough for a single 8oz can of soup and is more like baskets than a shelf, so nothing gets lost behind clutter.

On the inside of the door Assuming it's a regular door , not a bifold or slider, I would hang an over the door shoe pocket (clear) storage thingy for small things or precuts.

Leave a comment:

• ilive2craft2
    replied

I have a cutting table made from the cube storage units with a hollow core door as the top (got it in the seconds area at the local home improvement store), which has my stash stored in it - yardage is wrapped on comic book boards. Some of the cubes have the fabric boxes in them, which is where I store my scraps. I also have some Ikea basket drawers and Ikea Alex storage drawer cabinets.

Don't think everything has to have a place before you set up the machine and do some sewing. Congrats on getting your new sewing room setup!

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Hi Nancy, What do you have in those boxes? Is it mostly fabric, notions, precuts? I ended up getting one of the billy bookcases from Ikea and wrapped a lot of my fabric onto the comic book boards. I had several pieces that were for specific projects, so kitted those together with the pattern so I could remember what they were for. Here's a photo of that. I still have a long way to go, but working on trying to get rid of the bins. I prefer to be able to see the fabric. Don't know why the photos always show up sideways.
    Billy Bookcase.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X