Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kits

I ordered a kit a ways back to make my sister a quilt for her 75th birthday. I got it out yesterday and cut the fabric as they told me to. I wish now I had not. They said one was for wedges, one for triangles and one for diamonds. They told me to put the diamond template on the 2.25" fabric. The template is 2.5 inches wide, They told me to put the Triangles on the 3.5 inch fabric. The Triangles are 2.5 inches wide so an inch of fabric is wasted. Then they old me to cut 4 strips 5and 1/8 Inch wide for the wedges in a very dark blue. There was only enough fabric for 3 strips that wide.

My question is this. The last kit I got was right. Is it common to run into this with kits. I am seriously considering buying more of a very dark blue so it does not mess up the design. It gripes me because this kit was not cheap.
    sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Re: Kits

Reason number 2391 I don't buy kits.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I don't usually buy kits as the finished size is not the end size that I want.

Having said that, when I first started quilting I bought 2 kits from CT to make a King quilt. Kit was on sale for twin. I had enough for King and I can probably make a lap quilt with leftovers. I also bought the kit to make the Jaybird Gravity as it would have been very costly to buy that many different coloured fabrics.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I like kits because I'm challenged when it comes to picking out fabrics for a pattern. And I've been fortunate not to have run into a problem with fabric being shorted such as you did. Most of the kits I have bought were actually quite generous with the fabric contents, and some were so close that one bad cut would leave me short.

BUT....I always check the fabric content (measure it) and make sure the kit includes what the pattern requires as soon as it arrives, even if I'm not going to actually make the quilt until a later date.

One kit that was gifted to me had a fabric substituted so I was glad I read the instructions and measured the fabrics before doing any cutting, or else I would have had a big problem!

Comment

I've never bought a kit, but even with a pattern, I always buy extra fabric... just in case.

I hope you're able to work it all out.
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

If the directions were wrong, you might try calling M* customer service. They're so sweet about trying to make things right, and they may be willing to send you extra fabric. It can't hurt to try.
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I often buy kits-with my poor vision it is hard for me to "match" colors-most often they have been great, once the directions were incorrect and when I contacted the pattern/kit maker they sent me fabric to redo the 4 star blocks that I had made with corrected instructions for making them the correct size. Now I always check the pattern makers web page to see if there are any updates. There is one local shop I will not purchase kits from because of the 3 kits I got there 2 of them were short of fabric and one would have been if I were to cut my binding 2.5" as instructed so it worked out with the 2.25" that I use.
              One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

So it is not just me. I found somewhere to buy the 1/4 yard of fabric I was shorted. Cost 8.00 with shipping. Then I decided to buy the templates so I made sure there were no mistakes. I like the pattern. I guess I was spoiled with the last kit which had everything right even though the entire thing was paper pieced. I bought the kit from MIssouri but it comes from elsewhere and was sealed. MIssouri does not handle any of the fabric. I once needed one yard of fabric and called the original designer. Turned out they had one yard in their ledgers of fabric they had mad and let me have it. They can be quite nice.

Comment

I only bought a kit once and had to substitute as it was short. I followed directions to the letter and found the whole process completely aggravating. Kits are not cheap. Done with kits.

Comment

I would suggest measuring the template to make sure that the cutting instructions are correct. In my case I had enough fabric to cut the 2.25 strips but the template is 2.5 inches wide.

Comment

My first one was perfect but this has discouraged me.

Comment

That's a shame you are having a bad experience with a kit. I've done quite a few kits, from Connecting Threads mostly and also Craftsy (before blue...whatever it is now). I do check the websites for known instructional/kit mistakes before I make it. I've always had more than enough fabric. CT is very generous with theirs and their prices are always reasonable. Even if you want to buy the kit just for fabric yardage, it's usually well worth it.
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

Working...
                        X