X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deegles
    replied
    Re: Tips for quilting without pain & fatigue

The ergonomics of sitting and sewing all day is bad for you. My body does not complain until I get up. I learned a long time ago to find a different way. I use a buffet table and stand while sewing or quilting at it. My feet and ache of standing easily cries out to me to take a break. I also use my buffet for cutting. My back does not have to bend to make cuts. This has been more than productive for me. And no visit’s to the chiropractor! I have heard of people raising their cutting table with pvc, or bed risers. I tried this out at our sewing group meet, this worked well for me.
    If you must sit, sit as if you have a tail. It relaxes your core and is better for your lower back. Sitting like this everywhere will reduce stress on your muscles in your back and give you better stamina, simply sitting the right way.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

I have tried to research ergonomic fixes for everything in my sewing studios, from machine height to chair height to cutting table height to reach on LA. I have an anti fatigue mat that I stand on when cutting and LAing. I place most used items at proper placements to easily reach and hang rulers near the cutting table. I use an adjustable chair with the added sit upon support by Gypsy quilter. I have cords tucked up and attached to under table tops so no trip hazards. I sit square at my machine, no angles. I have proper and bright lighting to reduce eye strain. I keep all supplies within reach, but neatly stored away to have easy access, but reduce clutter strain on my brain. I keep my ironing board across the room to force movement often. I keep my tea or water nearby to stay hydrated.....also causes me to walk upstairs to the rest room enough. I use a stereo, iPad, or DVDs for entertainment and education as I sew. I dance and walk with my LA so I am not stretching too far. I stop every other pass on the LA and shrug my shoulders and do a few stretches to relieve neck and back tension. I try to use proper posture, but need to adjust this often! I stand with my legs shoulder wide when cutting, ironing, and using the LA. I wear shoes if using the LA for long periods of time, but not when using the sewing machine. I use a fan, fireplace, and air purifier for comfort. I diffuse scents I love to relax.

This makes me sound so OCD.....but I just set things up properly and added little bits as I noticed fatigue or stress pain issues. I love to sew and quilt for hours, so I need to be able to do it safely. My studio is my sanctuary. A few simple changes allows me to really enjoy this hobby.

Leave a comment:

• lourixe
    replied

The right heigth an the right light for every task. You need higher surfaces for cutting and ironing than for sewing. And plenty of natural daylight or additional lamps.

Leave a comment:

• ncgrammie
    replied

I notice a difference in comfort whenever wearing my compression socks as suggested on "Get it Done Quilts" on YouTube. Normally I would get up and move around every 5 or 10 minutes. Yes I did. Now when wearing my compression socks I get up at least every 30 minutes to stretch, move around and that keeps the body and mind happy too. Keep water nearby to stay rehydrated as suggested earlier. Keeping everything nearby and handy is a time saver but requires deliberate moving around as moving is necessary for health purposes.

Leave a comment:

• giig21
    replied

Thd perfect quilting set up means having all you tools and tables close by right? Well i have my sewing machine and next to this are i have a place to make small cuts an miner pressing. I purposely set my larger area to cut and press in other room so that I have to get up and move. Works for me .

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied

I have 2 adjoining bedrooms in basement. First one is set up with sewing area on one side, and DH on the other. We have a small table for cutting between us in a U shape. I also have my reference books on bookcase, ironing board and large board to add on top, when needed. It stores behind door. The ironing board hangs on the door to walk-in closet in that room. We have threads on wall, and DH has all his tools, fabrics stored on shelves and hooks made with 4x4 grid supystem. Our chairs are offices chairs that are ergonomic. I store fabrics on shelves and in clear scrapbook bins, labelled so that I am not digging up & down for fabric. I also have a wide-step step stool to reach items on top shelf. All our tables have large cutting mats for quick trim.

The second room, has a long cutting 7' kitchen island top where we do majority of cutting. It is raised height so we down have to bend over. Extra lighting. I have an IKEA bar stool if I want to sit. There are also bins underneath with scrapbooking projects. The room also has a 6' sliding closet doors, to which I have attached a flannel sheet for design wall. It stores batting and extra sewing machines. The opposite side of room, I have sit down long arm with extra tables on side, ergonomic chair, good lighting. Also a bungy system made with PVC pipes to support weight of quilts.

I think important thing is to keep hydrated, with water. I have no problem getting up and down while sewing. I do have to learn to get up more often when I am quilting on sit down. I have been known to stay put for 3 straight hours. I like the idea of a timer.

Leave a comment:

• TMP
    replied

I don't really have a set way to take care of myself other than getting up and moving around ever so often.

Leave a comment:

• craftychris
    replied

I had a DVT a long time ago brought on my endless sitting whilst studying. Don't want another one. So when I'm sewing I set up the ironing board in another room, sew a batch of stuff then go to the iron. Up and down all the time. Has worked for me so far.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

I am a horrible example. I never stretch and only get up when my coffee cup is empty and I need a refill. This is when hq in my comfy chair in LR. When using my machine, I have a sewing room. My machine is on opposite side of room from my cutting table and ironing board so when piecing I am getting up and down about every 5 minutes. Hmm maybe that's why piecing is not my favorite part. Love your idea of doing the article though. Let's see if us old dogs can learn new tricks.

Leave a comment:

• AMG
    replied

I bought an armless office chair on wheels that's height adjustable - made a huge difference from the dining table chair I was using. It's easy to adjust the height row different tasks - I like it higher when FMQ, for example.

I also re-purposed a rolling kitchen "island" to use for cutting & ironing. It's much easier to do both with a counter-height surface as opposed to a desk or table.

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied

Yep. Get up frequently and move around.

Leave a comment:

• DeniseSm
    replied

I use a thirty minute timer. When the timer goes off I get up , walk around, and then do my stretches.

Leave a comment:

• CSMaddox
    started a topic Tips for quilting without pain & fatigue

Tips for quilting without pain & fatigue

Hello quilters! I am looking for ideas to include in a BLOCK Magazine article. How do you take care of yourself while quilting to avoid strain and fatigue? Do you have a special sewing room setup? Helpful tools? Stretches or other exercises? I’d love to hear what you do!
Working...
X