• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

tea towels

I've been thinking of embroidering some kitchen tea towels in 2020. Have you ever looked on, say, Amazon at how many brands of tea towels there are???? Obviously if I'm going to do a batch of them for next year I guess I have to become an ecomonic tea towel PhD.

Anyone here been there, done that?? Anyone here an expert in the field of dirty dish rags??? I do see some for like 12 for $15 to $17. The few times I thought I found something I'd then see the several reviews that say Don't bother a fool and their money is soon parted :-/

Any brands you'd been happy with?

Carlie Wolf
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.
  • Nwmnteacher
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2014

Re: tea towels

I buy my dishtowels from JoAnns and use a coupon for 50 percent off. The size I like is 30 x30 inches. They come 2 per package , and I think the regular price is $7.99. They come in a smaller size as well. They're very good quality.

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

I bought the ones from Joanne's in the smaller size. I used hexies and made a set, one a wreath and one a Christmas tree. I used little buttons for the decorations. They turned out really cute.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Cathy F
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

The towels I like best to embroider on are the waffle flat weave kitchen towels. I get a lot of them at Home Goods, 4 towels for anywhere from $7.00-$9.99. I also bought some nice ones from Sonoma Williams, a bit pricey, 4 towels for $16.00. I sell each towel for $12.00, and they sell out at every craft fair I 've done.

I have a picture of one in my album called little things of a Valentine rabbit if you care to see the towel.
        Last edited by Cathy F; December 29, 2019, 01:52 PM.
        Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2012

I’ve used the ones sold by MSQC for my tea towel aprons. I embroider on most of them. Other than wrinkling when being washed, they hold up well.

Comment

• cv quilter
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2015

Believe it or not, Hobby Lobby has some nice 100 % cotton, sturdy, patterned towels (checks, stripes). Embroidery is a dream on them
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

Cathy I love your album. You have such nice things in there.

What I think I want to do is some of the (I think they call them) Kitchen Boas maybe? It's like a scarf but you hang it around your neck when you're working in the kitchen and then your towel (that you're always looking for) is hanging there. It has a towel on each side of the neck. I have the feeling they will sell real well at the craft fair. Also I can gear them toward all the holidays. I'm thinking spring/summer at this point.

I've spent the last few hours looking at towels and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just make my own towels if I can find the right raw fabric. It might be a way to further cut the cost if I can find the right stuff. I just saw this in etsy. Sewing them should be a snap. What do you think of this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/2272582...?ref=related-1
              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

Jean I remember making a couple of those towel aprons a few years ago. They were nice towels. Really large too.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

I haven't embroidered on a tea towel but bought some for my kitchen. They were a 100% cotton and when I washed them they were so ugly with wrinkles. If I were to get a gift of towels I would like the terry better. I'm just giving you a customer point of thought : )
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Cathy F
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                    Cathy I love your album. You have such nice things in there.

What I think I want to do is some of the (I think they call them) Kitchen Boas maybe? It's like a scarf but you hang it around your neck when you're working in the kitchen and then your towel (that you're always looking for) is hanging there. It has a towel on each side of the neck. I have the feeling they will sell real well at the craft fair. Also I can gear them toward all the holidays. I'm thinking spring/summer at this point.

I've spent the last few hours looking at towels and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just make my own towels if I can find the right raw fabric. It might be a way to further cut the cost if I can find the right stuff. I just saw this in etsy. Sewing them should be a snap. What do you think of this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/2272582...?ref=related-1
                    Noel,
                    Thank you for the nice comment of my work.

A friend of mine makes the kitchen boas and does very well at the craft fairs with them. I have one and will post a picture of it for you tomorrow. She uses cotton fabric for the scarf part and uses terry kitchen towels for the bottom part
                    Last edited by Cathy F; December 29, 2019, 05:02 PM.
                    Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

And if you do the combo like Cathy mentioned think of all the cute kitchen or even wine fabrics that are out there. My youngest dd has chicken stuff in her kitchen. I'm sure we're not the only crazy chicken people out there. lol
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2013

Lorie, the ones I'd seen as a tutorial had nice print fabrics for the main part of the boa with just the toweling at the bottom. I liked those. Thought they were sharp looking. I wanted to do them for Easter, the patriot holidays, maybe Mother's and Fathers Day, then some with just neat fabrics. I really don't want to get toweling that is too thin or wrinkled. I think it would be pretty crummy if they looked awful after one washing :-(

Comment

• bubba
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2013

There is a group I belong to over on facebook, and a gal there gets her tea towels at a restaurant supply store for about $1.50 each. They are made from linen. If you live near a place like that, you might want to check.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

Thanks bubba, I'll have to check and see if anyone I know has contacts in the restaurant field. Hummmm, going to put my thinking cap on.

Comment

• toggpine
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2009

When I hear "tea towel" I think of the big, flour-sack towels Grandma used to make us dry the glasses and tea cups with.
                              I bet we are all thinking different things.
                              The flour sack ones do wrinkle, the terry ones are more absorbent, and I'd guess you could very easily make your own from "raw" terry cloth.
                              I have even used linens from the bath towel section for some of my projects that needed specific colors. You are about to have a bunch of January white sales coming up.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel
                              because those who mind don't matter,
                              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X