Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    RE: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

    Ok, maybe I need to ask my question a different way:
    MSQC has changed to Mountain Mist batting (they used our beloved Hobbs 80/20 before switching to Fairfield and now have switched again).
    Has anyone out there on the Forum had a top quilted recently at M*, using Mountain Mist batting? Are you happy with the results? Or are most quilters who use M* machine quilting services providing their own batting?
    Thanks.
    Michele

    to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

    #2
    Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

    My sister's quilt came back from M* almost a month ago. Not sure what batting was used. They were still advertising Fairfield when I placed the order. I didn't have any issues with the quality of the batting -- it seemed like regular 80/20 to me when I squared up the quilt.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

      I sent a quit to them in the middle of September, I don't remember what they were using at the time. I received it back on November 8. The quilting is wonderful, the sides were wonky and pulled in (and no, it was not sent that way, the sides were dead straight), and the batting was so thin that I won't use it for its intended purpose. I haven't even bound it yet because the sides are so uneven my choices are to trim it so that some blocks are cut off or use a wider binding strip; I had already cut the strips to 2 1/2". If I ever use them again I will supply my own batting.
      Barbara

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

        I am not sure of their policy, but some quilters won’t use your batting. I don’t think Mo* will, either.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

          Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
          I am not sure of their policy, but some quilters won’t use your batting. I don’t think Mo* will, either.
          M* still lets quilters send their own batting, per their FAQ:
          Can I send in my own batting? Yes, you can send in your own batting. We do offer batting, which is included in the price for quilting services, so the price will be the same whether you provide the batting or we do. If you do decide to send your own batting, make sure it is larger than than your quilt top to make sure we have plenty for your quilt sandwich.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

            Originally posted by JulieC View Post
            My sister's quilt came back from M* almost a month ago. Not sure what batting was used. They were still advertising Fairfield when I placed the order. I didn't have any issues with the quality of the batting -- it seemed like regular 80/20 to me when I squared up the quilt.
            Squared up the quilt? They no longer do this?

            Wow. First they raised their pricing by 50% from .02 to .03, changed the batting and now, if they are no longer squaring up the quilt, seems they are trying to price themselves out of the business!

            As far as Mountain Mist batting goes, I assume they are still using a cotton or cotton blend, but the name Mountain Mist brings images of poly stuffing to mind for me.
            Donna

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

              I sort of suspected they switched in order to improve profits. It's a business after all so can't blame them for that. If we're dissatisfied it might be a good idea to let customer service know that the quality of the finished product is declining as a result of the switch. As far as squaring, I don't think they ever did that. They just trimmed the quilt.
              M* is using 80/20; at least that's what the website says. It's interesting that there is no Mountain Mist packaged batting in stock.
              I'm trying to figure out what to do, M* vs. LQS. If I have to supply my own batting that just adds to my cost. Plus I'm concerned about the quality. Thanks for the input.
              Last edited by chelea; December 29th, 2019, 09:14 PM.
              Michele

              to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

                Thanks for correcting me......I really didn’t know.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

                  Originally posted by chelea View Post
                  I sort of suspected they switched in order to improve profits. It's a business after all so can't blame them for that. If we're dissatisfied it might be a good idea to let customer service know that the quality of the finished product is declining as a result of the switch. As far as squaring, I don't think they ever did that. They just trimmed the quilt.
                  M* is using 80/20; at least that's what the website says. It's interesting that there is no Mountain Mist packaged batting in stock.
                  I'm trying to figure out what to do, M* vs. LQS. If I have to supply my own batting that just adds to my cost. Plus I'm concerned about the quality. Thanks for the input.
                  I have only had one queen sized quilt finished by M*, and it came back ready for binding. My friend has had many done and they have always been returned ready for binding. I am concerned about BarbaraB's statement that it was so crooked that she had to trim blocks. Seems as though the quality of their work is slipping.....

                  ETA - M* always did such beautiful work, it would be sad to see that quality of work lost. I used to "oooh and awwww" over the quilts that came back from them.
                  Last edited by dwil23; December 29th, 2019, 10:35 PM.
                  Donna

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

                    I have had three quilts quilted by M* -- they were returned trimmed, not squared. In the M* Live tour of the machine quilting shop, the gal in charge said they do not square the quilts. It's right around the 15 minute mark.

                    My sister's quilt shrank a little more than I expected when I washed it.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmK...ature=youtu.be
                    Last edited by JulieC; December 30th, 2019, 05:07 AM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Mountain Mist batting and MSQC quilting services

                      Having handled the Fairfield and the Mountain Mist batting side-by-side, I can at least share what I felt about them. The Mountain Mist is the stronger of the two by far, being much harder to rip and, at least to my hand, a bit more dense. They're both mid-loft, so about the same thickness. The Mountain Mist also felt less coarse, just a bit. It's overall a better product than the Fairfield we were using before. Hope this helps!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X