Rotary blades: who knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary blades: who knew?

Just thought I would pass this info along. I am on a quilting FB group and someone said you can get a little extra mileage on your blades if when dull you take the blade out and just flip it over. Idk if this works but I am going to try it. Others posted comments that this idea has been out there a long time, so you might have already tried it. It was a new idea to me.

Re: Rotary blades: who knew?

Never knew this. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks

Comment

This is a rather dumb idea, if you think about it, the blade uses both sides to cut. Each side gets equal wear and tear.
      When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
      Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It changes the direction of travel, sort of like rotating tires.
        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

No harm in trying. Thanks.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by ktdid View Post
            This is a rather dumb idea, if you think about it, the blade uses both sides to cut. Each side gets equal wear and tear.
            I don't think it's dumb at all. It might or might not work, but certainly worth a couple of seconds of our time to give it a try. Thanks for the info jj!
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I had heard of this, but never actually tried it. I am terrible when it comes to changing blades, and sewing machine needles.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Two more tricks that may help...
                1. Clean the lint out of your cutter & blade more often ( not just when you change the blade)

2. Apply a drop of machine oil onto the blade whenever you flip it or clean it.

Flipping, cleaning, and oiling are part of my weekly routine, along with cleaning & oiling my sewing machine. As a result I probably only go thru 4 to 6 blades a year.

Comment

I want to try it , kind of makes since to me, thank you!

Comment

Now I'm thinking about all the Gingher blades I tossed that I probably shouldn't have. I'm going to try this.
                    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

I have tried it. The blade does not cut like new, but you can use it for a little longer.

Comment

I have never tried it but it seems to me that it can work because each person cuts in one way and sometimes we do it from one side more than another, thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X