Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone signed up for the 365 block challenge, a block a day for a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone signed up for the 365 block challenge, a block a day for a year?

https://www.365challenge.com.au
    I have signed up, we will see if I have the discipline to stay with it.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: has anyone signed up for the 365 block challenge, a block a day for a year?

Thanks for the link. It is a beautiful pattern and I love the inspiration gallery. Not sure if I am brave enough to do 3" blocks
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Thanks for the link. After reading some of the directions for a few of the blocks I decided that this is just too tiny for me. It will be a beautiful quilt and I look forward to see some of your blocks as you sew along. I will be your cheering section.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

I started this challenge in 2016, but only made it through about 30 blocks. They ended up getting more and more difficult, and the 3 inch size made it too frustrating for me. I ended up putting the blocks I had made into a table runner.

Jeanne

Comment

I started this quilt in 2016 too. It helped me through a difficult time. I totally immersed myself in it to the exclusion of any other patchwork. Finally got all the iddy bits together into a quilt top. I didn't complete it totally according to the pattern so it's a variation of it. Patience and time took over towards the latter part of it. It is certainly a challenge but I did learn a lot of new skills. It's still waiting to be quilted......

Comment

It looks like a lovely quilt. However I won't be signing up. I have found that I have commitment issues for quilt sew-a-longs, mystery quilts or challenges. It distracts me from the quilts that I want to make, and hey become UFOs. I also decd
            Ised years ago, that I would not make blocks that are less than 6" pieces.

Good luck with it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I believe in challenges, but that one is just way too far out of my realm. Good luck though. The finished quilt looks beautiful

Comment

Very interesting and I love miniature anything!! I don't think I could commit to it without falling off the wagon. Also with blocks this small and the itty bitty pieces, I think the design gets sort of lost by not including any plain blocks as separation. The completed quilt, as shown in the link, is really spectacular but also really really busy.

Comment

Well I dove in! Made two 6 inch blocks. My finger can cover half of the hst’s. Tiny work. Probably after having success with the tiny pieces and cutting it my own way, I have officially started. Once I am back to work, I am not sure how I am going to keep up. I did see this video. Beautiful! https://youtu.be/X-A4TCvAEr0
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I can barely commit the time to make my own lunch for work 5 days a week!
                    I'd never make this happen!

More power to you for taking it on!
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I did the Moda Block Heads last year and whenever Lisa Bongean (Primitive Gatherings) was the designer, the pieces and blocks were tiny. I enjoyed those the least, though when seams matched up and the block went together it was very satisfying. The blocks were released weekly and I felt that pace was about right for me. Kudos to you for jumping in Deegles; it's going to be a gorgeous quilt. My challenge right now is a Gypsy Wife. I enjoy having a long term project going, taken in small steps.
                      BTW, Block Heads 3 is starting up again Jan. 15 if anyone is interested.

Comment

One of our forum members made this one year. I had the opportunity to see this in person it was amazing.

Comment

Good Luck Deegles. I'm excited to see your work.
                          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I took on this challenge in 2016. I was a novice quilter, and my skills improved a great deal. I learned a LOT making this quilt, including an education on choosing fabrics. This quilt is a HUGE time commitment. I was not able to keep up the grind of cranking out a block every day, but I did download the directions and just kept plugging along at my own pace. It took me about 18 months to finish piecing the top. And yes, those pieces are small -- and there are more than 10,000 of them!

Once I finished the top, I had it custom quilted by a fantastic local LA quilter, and gifted it to my step-daughter and her husband as a wedding gift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2918.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1617881

It was fun to incorporate some meaningful fussy-cut elements. The coffee is for my SIL, who worked at Starbuck's during grad school, and my DSD had sunflowers in her wedding bouquet. The bear is because they lived in the north woods of Wisconsin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1cd8.jpg
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	1617882 Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1cd0.jpg
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1617883

Comment

Several of our members at the forum retreat were working on these blocks. Our member Klasien from the Netherlands did this several years ago, and it turned out lovely. She came to visit me in the US and we quilted it on my longarm. Turns out, airplane tickets to the US are cheaper than longarm services in Europe! We even got to visit MSQC while she was in the US and got to show it to Jenny at a trunk show! If you like working with small pieces, it turns out great! But that kind of challenge isn’t for everyone!

Also, there is another quilting/longarm shop in Hamilton in the next block down from M*, she was doing one, and it was gorgeous! Can’t remember her name now.

But, if anybody can do this, Deegles, you can! Go for it!
                              Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; December 29th, 2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X