Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone signed up for the 365 block challenge, a block a day for a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: has anyone signed up for the 365 block challenge, a block a day for a year?

Amazing work. Not a challenge for me. I like larger quilt pieces & a quicker finish.

Comment

Originally posted by MSN View Post
      I took on this challenge in 2016. I was a novice quilter, and my skills improved a great deal. I learned a LOT making this quilt, including an education on choosing fabrics. This quilt is a HUGE time commitment. I was not able to keep up the grind of cranking out a block every day, but I did download the directions and just kept plugging along at my own pace. It took me about 18 months to finish piecing the top. And yes, those pieces are small -- and there are more than 10,000 of them!

Once I finished the top, I had it custom quilted by a fantastic local LA quilter, and gifted it to my step-daughter and her husband as a wedding gift.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]162032[/ATTACH]

It was fun to incorporate some meaningful fussy-cut elements. The coffee is for my SIL, who worked at Starbuck's during grad school, and my DSD had sunflowers in her wedding bouquet. The bear is because they lived in the north woods of Wisconsin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]162033[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]162034[/ATTACH]
      Wow, just wow what a quilt. It would have broke my heart to give this one away after all that work!!!! I am wondering if these blocks were hand or machine pieced? You must have the patience of a saint. Thanks for posting your pics. Inspiration for the rest of us!

Comment

What a gorgeous quilt! That's a once in a lifetime finish.
        Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Everything was rotary cut and machine pieced. Some of those little 3-inch blocks had more than 40 pieces of fabric. I don't think I have exceptional patience; it's more that I have a great deal of determination. Occasionally, I got stymied by a block and had to put it aside for awhile. For example, the block for Easter Sunday had 16 mitered corners. When the instructions were released in March, I knew that my skills weren't good enough to tackle it. By October, my skills had developed to the point where I was able to complete it. The designer kindly includes directions for several extra blocks, so I had the option to substitute something else if a particular block gave me fits.

Did I mention that this was my very first bed-size quilt? Previous to this, I had only done small projects like wall hangings. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!

Actually, it was easy to give this one away. When I started the quilt, I figured it would end up on our bed. When DSD got engaged, I realized that it would make a good wedding gift. Having a deadline increased my motivation to get it done, and it was fun to find fabrics that truly made it "theirs." My DSD and I enjoy a wonderful relationship, and I was thrilled to be able to give them a unique and memorable wedding gift. And I can go visit that quilt whenever I want.

Comment

MSN your quilt is gorgeous! I admire anyone who can do such tiny beautiful work.

I enjoy doing the quilt alongs and I have learned so much. Its fun to see all the different fabrics people choose and how fabric selection can change the quilt completely. I have done several quilt alongs. I am currently working on the Frolic one and plan to join the Moda one when it starts. I prefer the ones that you make a block a week and not the one where you make a simple 150 blocks per week.

Its a stunning quilt but I think that this one with the small pieces is just beyond me and making a block a day would drive me crazy.
            Last edited by TMP; December 30th, 2019, 02:22 AM.

Comment

I think one block a week is very reasonable, especially if you have a life outside your sewing room.

Comment

Well I started!....Verychallenging indeed. I have done about 7 blocks. The one for the last of dec was brutal. I spent 7 1/2 hours on a 6 1/2 inch block. I must be mad! Had many issues with construction, but am happy with the result. Here are a few of mine up to that point. 1F1767B7-0AB1-4ADE-BFFD-F64842242B9D.jpeg[ATTACH=CONFIG]162067[/ATTACH78C93890-7D62-4B7E-A928-C8A81A23AEF8.jpg
                Attached Files
                Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Your link (and other links) give me a "site not secure" message.
                  Anyone else get that message? I did manage to sign up, but sub links
                  give me the same message. Hmmm...

Comment

Has anyone clicked on the link Deegles provided with her comment and the link says it's not safe?
                    Then too, I could have my internet security set too high possibly?
                    ????????????????????????????
                    garfield-relaxing.gif
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Working...
                    X