An Invitation to the Fabulous Finishing Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Invitation to the Fabulous Finishing Group

Do you have some quilting or craft projects you want to finally get done in 2020? The Fabulous Finishing Group (aka "Finished is better than perfect" is for you! Here's how it works:

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of 1) things you want to finish; 2) OR projects you want to do; 3) OR a combination of 1 and 2. Then, you post your list to the group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, the group leader (me this time) will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. If you prefer to do your list in a particular order, you can certainly do it that way as well. When you have finished your project, please post a picture in the group photos as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start. Or just work on any of your projects, as you like...no rules!

So, if you have a resolution to polish off some projects, stop by and sign up any time!

Re: An Invitation to the Fabulous Finishing Group

What a great idea, may think on this hmmmmmmmmm
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Other than actually giving me a kick in the rear.......(I'll leave it at that, )
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Ladies and gents,
        I have to tell you this is a great group. I've belonged to it for past 2 years, and it's a great place to keep my TO-SEW list. It's fun to see what everyone is up to, and look back at the year and see how much I have actually done.

For me, it helps to keep me on track, and it's my own get going motivator. Reminds me of when I used to manage projects by breaking down steps and deadlines.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I've been semi lurking for awhile with the occasional comment posted. I was fairly successful last year finishing projects when I forced myself to focus. This challenge sounds like fun. Will post my list within the next day or so. Thanks for hosting!

Comment

Well, thank you. This sounds like a idea whose time has come for me.

Comment

This is a great idea but I only finish 1 or 2 quilts a year so if I joined your group I would be working on the same number every single month. And I have zero UFOs. Just giving hope to all the other slow quilters out there, also called hq-ers, you are not alone!

Comment

I sure don't want to discourage any hand quilters. All my to-do projects this year are small hand sewn pieces. We don't monitor or police anyone's progress. Folks can use the group as they like, if they feel they would be helped by such a thing.

It took me two years to (nearly) finish my first year's list, but I do enjoy seeing now what I crossed off. In general I seem to focus more on work I've got to do than the work I've done. So I get a feeling of accomplishment looking at all I've crossed off.

Comment

This is worth thinking about........
                  Maria

Comment

I'm in! Now to choose...I have 10 in progress and about 20 that need quilting. I've gotten caught up with selling small items that my quilts have suffered. Although I do own a longarm ill have to start with ufos to piece since I'm out of batting. I'm using profit to pay for a roll...I should be golden by Feb. Great group, looking forward to making some progress!

Comment

I won't be joining this year, but want to chime in. I was a member in 2017 and 2019 and it was an excellent way to encourage me to complete all my UFO's on my list. Such a wonderful feeling to start the new year again knowing that I don't have any UFO's lingering on my shelf.

For the new members, remember the goal is to accomplish something on your list through the year. Even if the moderator picks a number that you don't want to work on, go ahead and choose a different number. Projects can even be broken down over several months (i.e. #1 could be piecing, #2 quilting of #1, and #3 could be the binding). You could even choose to try a new technique, or practice on one (i.e. EPP, Curves, or FMQ) for one of your #'s.

Enjoy the process and don't stress yourself out if you don't finish your list by year end, feel good about the ones you do finish.

Have Fun everyone. I look forward to seeing all your finished projects !

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                        I won't be joining this year, but want to chime in. I was a member in 2017 and 2019 and it was an excellent way to encourage me to complete all my UFO's on my list. Such a wonderful feeling to start the new year again knowing that I don't have any UFO's lingering on my shelf.

For the new members, remember the goal is to accomplish something on your list through the year. Even if the moderator picks a number that you don't want to work on, go ahead and choose a different number. Projects can even be broken down over several months (i.e. #1 could be piecing, #2 quilting of #1, and #3 could be the binding). You could even choose to try a new technique, or practice on one (i.e. EPP, Curves, or FMQ) for one of your #'s.

Enjoy the process and don't stress yourself out if you don't finish your list by year end, feel good about the ones you do finish.

Have Fun everyone. I look forward to seeing all your finished projects !
                        Excellent Idea! I only have about 6 projects and I'm a slow quilter. Breaking one up into multiple phases would be really do-able.
                        thanks Caroline!

Comment

Caroline T. is right! Customize the group to what works for you! These are YOUR goals. The are no number-enforcing police or progress police, we are just happy to be working together! It took me two years to get 11 out of 12 of my year one list done but boy am I happy to see I did those. Sometimes making a list can focus your mind and give you a strategy. Do things in whatever order you like. I'm not sure that I ever did the month's number, and I had several projects going at once while waiting for parts and supplies or creative ideas, but I was progressing on all those. Even just thinking up a strategy about a project is work.

Comment

Working...
                          X