QUESTION FOR 2020....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: QUESTION FOR 2020....

My goal will be to just spend more time in my sewing room this year. Other things kept pulling me out of there, and I miss it. I also have projects that need to be finished in the worst way.
    I've set up the back-up machine at the dining table so I can sew while Em does her homework. She doesn't like to sit at the table by herself, but alo doesn't need my direct input on every part of her assignments either. I think this will be a happy medium. I'm there if she needs help with the tricky parts, company when she doesn't.
    I need to work on my FMQ too. I don't do as much of it, and therefore am a bit dodgy at it when I do want to use it.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Barb I am very sorry about your artitris, I have an inherited spine problem , so if I sew on the machine for a long time, the pain is very annoying, so my hand quilting is very relaxing but slow. This year I want to finish a Bargello that is in half and a grandmother´s garden that have for sandwich and quilting, will be two of my UFOs for this next year, I hope

Comment

One of my goals next year will be to complete more of my UFO's. I have a lot of finished quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched & quilted. I also have some piecing projects (WIP) waiting for the blocks to be assembled. I need to practice FMQ with curved rulers. I do fine with the straight rulers.

In Jan. I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my L. wrist I still have soreness in that hand. Arthritis in my hands has been a new problem for me this year, too, Barb. I hate this growing old & not being able to do the things I used to do! I've sewn my bindings by machine for a long time. So much easier, quicker, & more secure than hand done, esp. for those baby quilts that will get repeated washings & plenty of use.

I just would like to find more time, period, to sew/quilt. I'm lucky if I can find an hour a day. Some days, no time at all.

Comment

My goal is try to sew about 5 days a week and use up some of my stash, although I was really a good girl this year and never went overboard buying more and more fabric just because I liked it. And I think I have finally tamed the Charm Pack Monster within me. Only bought about 6 CP this year. Next year I want to try some new things, zipper pouches maybe. I have zipper anxiety, does anybody else know what that is. Lol.

Comment

Barb, have you tried hot wax treatments for your arthritis. I find it helps a lot. There is no shame in pmachine sewing the binding.

In 2020 I want to continue quilting my finished tops within a year. Last year, I joined the 2019 Fantastic Finishing Group, and it helped to refocus me to get things done. I joined the new group for 2020. I think there are only 3 UFO tops which carried over from 2019, but they were made in the last half of year. All my other UFO tops got wuilted, and more.

Next year I would like to do more paper piecing.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Jocelyn, no need for zipper anxiety. Annie Unrein (creator of ByAnnie products and patterns) has a series of video tutorials called "Zippers are EASY!" And they really are, I promise.

https://www.byannie.com/zippers_videos

Comment

For 2020 I'd like to see my side business take off. I have a huge stash and have been selling the last half of 2019. Bowl cozies seem to be the hot item. I wish I could sew longer! I have a hip issue and hope to be pain free from that as well.

Comment

Barb....I am sorry you suffer from arthritis. My hands also cramp up and I don't hand quilt like I used to.

In the coming year, I have many goals to accomplish with my quilting craft. I would like to organize my small sewing room; getting all my fabrics and purge/organize. Get my UFOs finished (it would probably scare me to know the actual number of them).
                  I also would like to try something new. I saw where a former guild I belonged to in Fort Smith, Arkansas had Shannon Brinkley as a guest speaker! WOW...she has a wonderful take on scrappy applique!
                  And I would also like to improve my FMQ, plus devote myself into making my Quilts of Valor!
                  Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

My goal is to do more quilting in 2020. During 2019, I've sorta lost my "sew-jo" and I'd like to get it back.
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Barb, I'm so sorry your arthritis is slowing you down! I'm lucky that mine is "only" in my hips, but when it flares there's no comfortable way to sit & sew.

My goal for 2020 is to get more organized with my scraps & finish quilting all these flimsies - I found two baby quilts I made and totalky forgot about when I was looking for something else! I want to keep getting better at FMQ, but I need to actuallyb"Finish My Quilts" to do that, lol

Comment

I want to learn to focus on finishing projects before starting 10 more! I will always have more than one project going just because that's how I roll. I just need to learn to finish some too....I have no earthly idea how many projects I have in different stages of completion.

As far as an actual skill, I want to get my room done and my old (bought third hand) Gracie frame and Janome beast set up and learn how to use it.
                        Donna

Comment

Originally posted by MSN View Post
                          Jocelyn, no need for zipper anxiety. Annie Unrein (creator of ByAnnie products and patterns) has a series of video tutorials called "Zippers are EASY!" And they really are, I promise.

https://www.byannie.com/zippers_videos
                          Thanks for the tip. I already watched video 1 of 6. I didnt even know there were different kinds of zippers or that you could cut them shorter. Or that you can sew them with a quarter inch foot if using a handbag zipper.

Comment

So many stories and great ideas thanks to Bubby's question.
                            I hit the sewing room today with four in mind. Fussy cutting (I hate to waste fabric), prairie points, binding hexigons and getting rid of some of my stash. Here's what I came up with. Color is a bit off in the pic. I'm pleased. I absolutely love binding with the back of the quilt; miters are so easy and accurate. Nice clean look. I used insulbrite and batting which gave it a great solid feel. It's about 16" at it's widest point. Good little table topper...or hot pad.
                            Topper.jpeg
                            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              Thanks for the tip. I already watched video 1 of 6. I didnt even know there were different kinds of zippers or that you could cut them shorter. Or that you can sew them with a quarter inch foot if using a handbag zipper.
                              It was a great revelation to me that you can purchase zippers by the yard and add the zipper pulls yourself. I found this a little tricky the first time, but it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by MSN View Post
                                It was a great revelation to me that you can purchase zippers by the yard and add the zipper pulls yourself. I found this a little tricky the first time, but it worked.
                                I know what you mean. I discovered them when I wanted to replace some couch seats. You can even replace a sleeping bag zipper if you really wanted to!
                                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                                X