Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems getting my jelly roll rug to sew right, please advice if you can give some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems getting my jelly roll rug to sew right, please advice if you can give some advice

I am working on my daughters jelly roll rug. My main machine broke down and I can't get it serviced until after Christmas. I dug out my very old light weight Brother which worked for a while then all I got was birds nests underneath, so I gave up on that idea.
    Now I am sewing on a brand new Viking Jade 20 and having problems with skipped stitches on the zig zag. I've changed needles and sizes, rethreaded, changed bobbins. I'm just stumped.
    I even took it back to the store and she's never made one so said it may the nature of the beast but there has to be a solution to the problem. The zig zag looks good and then it get a straight stitch here and there and it goes back to he zig zag.
    I did see where there was a post that she changed hers to a top stitch 80 and was working but since it's so thick, I'm not sure this will work for me. I don't know. I have to go to work in about 2 hours so I don't have time to run to the store to get one and try it but may stop by after work and get a top stitch needed. I'm stumped and ready to try anything to get this to sew right.
    I didn't have any problems on old Brother, it didn't skip but getting it started without thread balling up was an issue and it growled as I knew the machine was having a trouble getting though the layers. When it did start the stitches looked good and I'm using the same needed or have tried the same needles in this machine but it is skipping.
    I am using a walking foot and have added more pressure since the fabric is very thick.
    I have to go to work so so I won't be able to respond to any suggestions until tomorrow morning when I am home, but I will check back to see if anyone hopefully has had the same problem can help me work though this problem.

Re: Problems getting my jelly roll rug to sew right, please advice if you can give some advice

I would use a walking foot.

Comment

Re: Problems getting my jelly roll rug to sew right, please advice if you can give some advice

The pattern recommends and I used a size 90/14 jeans needle since it is going through such thickness. I also would not increase pressure foot but decrease the pressure so it would feed easier through the thickness.
      Hope you get it worked out.

Comment

I'll try anything. I am right now using a 100/16 jean needle but will try a 90/14 and see what it does once the stores open. I am already using a walking foot and I will try taking some pressure off the feel dogs. I'm just stumped. The old Brother didn't skip but I couldn't get it to stop jamming underneath. It's a light duty machine and it didn't handle it well at all. When I could get it to sew it did great if it didn't jam underneath. The lady where I bought the Jade had no idea. I took it in and the sample piece sewed beautiful until I put the rug under it. Thanks so much, I'll give it a try. I'm home from work now and plan to work on getting it to run but have to go buy more needles once the stores are open. Mine are all 100/16 jean needles, but I can take pressure off the feeds and see it that helps.

Comment

Carol, I've never made one, but I'll be sending you some positive thoughts today!

Check out Mister Domestic, he did a tutorial on the jelly roll rug, with tips and tricks that might help you out. https://misterdomestic.net/2018/07/2...ideo-tutorial/

Shabby Fabrics has a tutorial, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL_fHb7vRoo

Hope you have a better day today with your project!
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Check that you have the correct bobbin for the machine. Make sure it is wound so the thread is firm on the bobbin and not squishy. Be sure it is inserted the right way in the machine.

Check the needle so see that it is inserted all the way up into the needle holder space.

I've had these issues happen.

Good luck on finding the solutions for your project and getting back to stitching.

Comment

I would think the heavier needle would work better so would continue with the 16.
              What you are working on is going to be very hard on a machine, any machine. Be sure your upper tension is OK since that is where the problem is if you are getting thread nests.

Comment

Sometimes a little piece of thread gets caught down in the bobbin chamber.. So a good cleaning and rethreading often helps. I do hope you get the problem fixed and have an easier time making your rug.
                Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                :icon_wave:

Comment

I had better luck with mine, using the 100/16 needle without the walking foot. (I use Brother machines, both Innovis 2000 and ULT 2002D).

Comment

Well not sure if anyone saw my post, it's working correctly now. I actually was using the right size needle but I was told to use a top stitch needle and it's working great. The jean needle must have not been the right shape. I was lucky enough to get an answer from a lady who does all type of video's on machine and she gave me the answer I needed. I bought new needles and wahla, it's sewing like a jem. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. They were good suggestions, but my machine and project took a certain needle which I would have never thought to try. Thank you, thank you and thanks again.
                    I am using a walking foot with lot's of pressure and a 100/16 topstitch needle, not a jean needle. If anyone is having problems with a zig zag skipping stitches on a jelly roll rug, you may want to give this a try. It may not fix your problem on your machine, but it did fix mine. I just know I was ready to pull my hair out trying to get this going to get it finished by Christmas. It's worth $5 to give it a try if your having problems, it may be the answer your looking.
                    Last edited by CarolMeiring; December 17th, 2019, 06:52 AM.

Comment

"Jeans" and top-stitch needles are slightly different in shape. The jeans needle has a special tip and shank profile to penetrate heavier denims. Jeans (denim) needles have a smaller eye than a top-stitch needle. The top-stitch needle's larger eye allows for more duration in the loop form, which is helpful with thick layers, especially using a zigzag stitch.

In the case of jelly roll rugs one is sewing through four layers of batting and eight of fabric just to form the tube. Might be a benefit to step it up to a 110/18. I've also found that a coated needle (Schmetz "chrome" or Organ/Superior ti) results in less work for the sewing machine. For the ZZ joining of the tubes, slower is better, and managing the fabric so there's less sideways pulling on the needle. This is critical on modern computerized SMs.

Two main causes of skipped stitches- dirty bobbin/feed dog area, and wrong size or dull needle.
                      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Congrats Carol on getting the answer for your nest troubles. It can be so frustrating when our machines have these 'moments'. Happy sewing.
                        Sandy B.
                        "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Comment

Working...
                        X