Thread wrapping around spool pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread wrapping around spool pin

My dd bought me an old Singer and I think it's the 15-91, slightly bigger than a FW. Haven't used it much but leaving it set up with black thread so it's ready to use any time I am sewing darks. Yesterday I was using it and the needle wouldn't go down and I discovered the thread was wrapping around the thread spool post. Could not find anything in the manual what would cause this. I re-threaded it twice incl the bobbin, and then at the last minute I discivered I had left the stitch regulator lever (not sure that is what it is called) in the up position bc I had backstitched something. Once I lowered the lever everything was fine. Are these two things related or just a coincidence? Would like to know in case this happens again.

Re: Thread wrapping around spool pin

I have no clue but at least you found a solution.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I don't have that particular model, but I do have several vintage Singers, and have encountered that problem before. I have found three things that can cause the thread to spin around the spindle.

1. When I change the stitch direction (forward vs reverse and vice a versa): if I don't stop the machine completely before switching directions it sometimes causes the thread to backlash around the spindle.

2. I started using a felt disc under my spool to add traction, this helps prevent the spool from continuing to turn after I've stopped stitching (especially if I've been sewing "full speed"). https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/fe...d-3mm-4pk.aspx

3. I also get that backlash if the spool is taller than the spindle. I noticed the spool of thread would be rocking on the spindle, and eventually it would climb the spindle and jump off completely. When my spool is taller than the spindle, I push a plastic straw onto the spindle to help keep the spool in place.

Hope these tricks and tips help!

Comment

Thanks for your ideas Caroline! This machine has no felt under the spool so guess I should make one. I didn't really know what the felt thing was for. Your other suggestions were good too. Now if I can just remember how to save your answer into a user note.

Comment

Great tips Caroline! I'll add one, use a spool net. It stops the thread from jumping off the spool. Metallic thread is notorious for it, but regular thread can get unruly too.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

A thread stand is also a good idea. specially with crosswound thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              Great tips Caroline! I'll add one, use a spool net. It stops the thread from jumping off the spool. Metallic thread is notorious for it, but regular thread can get unruly too.
              Spool net? What is that? You knew I would ask didn't you lol

Comment

I had a similar problem while sewing the other day. My machine started making that funny sound. But I thought it was just the spool on the machine rattling. Nope. There was a cone behind the sewing machine. The thread from the cone got caught in the fly wheel. Half a cone wound around the wheel! Didn’t damage the machine but I learned my lesson, don’t ignore your machine when it’s talking to you.

AF975F9E-0A5F-4382-A32B-414ECCA99A98.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
                  I had a similar problem while sewing the other day. My machine started making that funny sound. But I thought it was just the spool on the machine rattling. Nope. There was a cone behind the sewing machine. The thread from the cone got caught in the fly wheel. Half a cone wound around the wheel! Didn’t damage the machine but I learned my lesson, don’t ignore your machine when it’s talking to you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]161415[/ATTACH]
                  Oh My! What a mess! So glad it didn't do any damage to the machine, but I'm sure it frayed your nerves.

Many years ago, my DIL borrowed my old Kenmore to hem some pants, after about 6 months I asked her if she still had it as I had some mending to do. That's when she told me that it was making a strange noise so she never got around to hemming all her pants, so I brought it home figuring it just needed a good oiling, but turns out I had the same mess you did. Needless to say, I did not offer to bring the machine back to her, but did offer to do any hemming for her in the future.

Comment

I've been using a spool net for my thread cones for a couple yrs. I bought a pkg. from Superior Threads. They work great. I use them for my LA, not on my DSM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                      Spool net? What is that? You knew I would ask didn't you lol
                      spool net.jpg

My tip is instead of buying spool net which is cut to size, is use candy lei making net and cut your own for pennies. I saw in a fabric shop they used it on rolls of fabric, Good for wrapping paper too!

http://craftingisfun.com/leinetting-orange.aspx
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                      X