X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SallyO'Sews
    replied
    Re: Buying local vs. the internet

Sew happy for you! Don't forget to show us some pics of your new machine!

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Enjoy your new LA.

Leave a comment:

• MSN
    replied

Originally posted by notsewfast View Post
    Update: I went to my LQS today and was pleasantly surprised. They gave me a price and when I shared my concerns, they counter-offered. After some back and forth, I got the Amara and frame, the shipping and the set up and some free stuff for the Amara for almost $1000 LESS than what I would have paid online!

I was thrilled because I am getting what I want for what I believe to be a fair price and I can quit worrying myself silly about it. (Yes, I feel silly now.) So...I have bought two long arms from them in the last 3 years and recently sent a friend to them who also purchased a long arm. I do feel better supporting my LQS because I also know they will be there to support me.
    A real win-win! Congratulations on your purchase.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

I know it's hard when there is so much difference in the cost but I think you made the right decision and in the end you will be happier. There is no substitute for product support and a local shop you can contact when or if you have a problem.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Hey, you never know until you try

Leave a comment:

• notsewfast
    replied

Update: I went to my LQS today and was pleasantly surprised. They gave me a price and when I shared my concerns, they counter-offered. After some back and forth, I got the Amara and frame, the shipping and the set up and some free stuff for the Amara for almost $1000 LESS than what I would have paid online!

I was thrilled because I am getting what I want for what I believe to be a fair price and I can quit worrying myself silly about it. (Yes, I feel silly now.) So...I have bought two long arms from them in the last 3 years and recently sent a friend to them who also purchased a long arm. I do feel better supporting my LQS because I also know they will be there to support me.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied

Originally posted by notsewfast View Post
    After weighing the pros and cons, I have decided I will have to pay the extra money and buy from my LQS. The machine I am looking at is the Handi Quilter Amara and for the amount of money I will be spending, I just can't deal with not having local set up and support in case something goes wrong. I did read some reviews of the internet company I was considering and while many folks have had positive experiences, there were some nightmare stories among them.

I bought my last long arm from my LQS and they have always supported me. I just hate paying all that extra money. Boo! Thanks for helping me with my decision.
    Congratulations on your new purchase. I think it's a good decision to buy local. Look at it as insurance. I rent the Amara from my LQS, and I love it. We debated getting a LA, but decided we didn't want to lose another room to quilting.

Leave a comment:

• MSN
    replied

I figure there is cost, and then there is value. It's easy to look at the prices and see that the LQS charges more. But the support you can get from your LQS is worth something, too. Sometimes a lot. So while the cost may be greater in buying from your LQS, it sounds as though the value is greater, too. And you are supporting a local small business.

Leave a comment:

• notsewfast
    replied

Hopefully I will get some sort of deal. The shop is small and they don't sell many long arms. This will be the second one I have bought from them.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

You know, you can always try talking to them about a lower deal, especially if they know you as a regular customer.

Leave a comment:

• notsewfast
    replied

After weighing the pros and cons, I have decided I will have to pay the extra money and buy from my LQS. The machine I am looking at is the Handi Quilter Amara and for the amount of money I will be spending, I just can't deal with not having local set up and support in case something goes wrong. I did read some reviews of the internet company I was considering and while many folks have had positive experiences, there were some nightmare stories among them.

I bought my last long arm from my LQS and they have always supported me. I just hate paying all that extra money. Boo! Thanks for helping me with my decision.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

If you are buying a longarm, I would recommend going through a local dealer. I bought my last two machines on the internet and there was absolutely zero support. Fortunately between Jeff and I we have been able to resolve everything, but a longarm is another story. In my case there are no local dealers for DSMs or longarms.

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

what long arm machine are you looking to purchase?

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

If you buy locally, the LQS should bring the LA to your house, set it up for you, & show you how to use it. You'd also have local repair & support. Most LQS offer free classes on how to use the products they sell. I've bought both my DSMs & my table LA from the LQS from people I know & trust & who will stand behind their products. That means a lot.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

The internet warehouses deal in bulk pricing and shipping where your LQS store sell a lot fewer items and their cost is higher. The warehouses also don't offer the customer support that most local dealers have. You trade off some things for others when you show online vs local.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X