Rag quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag quilt

Hi as Christmas is coming and I will have a lot of time on my hands I thought I would attempt to do my first rag quilt. I would be grateful for any tips one question I have what batting do you use for a nice cuddly quilt.

Re: Rag quilt

I myself don't use batting but instead put flannel in the middle. Generally I use 100% cotton for front and back and flannel for the middle. I know some folks use flannel for both the middle and back. If you are planning on doing blocks (I find that the easiest way) - cut them all the same size.

Lay backing fabric face down, flannel, front fabric face up and sew an X from corner to corner. Lay two backs facing each other (this feels wrong the first few times you do it ) and join the blocks with a half inch seam (this gives you a nice fluffy rag look.)

If you opt for batting, make sure you cut it smaller than the blocks so that it falls inside your seam when you join the blocks as batting will not "rag".
    Debbie

Comment

I've made a couple but don't find them cuddly. I used really good flannel too. I did use batting, 100% cotton. Just my opinion. The no sew fleece are cuddly. Good luck I hope it comes out great! There's is a free tutorial at shabby fabrics I thought about trying since the blocks are bigger.

Comment

I used good quality flannel for all three; the front, middle and back. It ragged very well. Definitely use a half inch or even 3/4 inch seam. Someone on here has good instructions for a rag quilt in their user notes; hopefully she will chime in since I can't remember who it is. Jenny has a tutorial I think this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0UQgeol-Zk

Jeannette

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
          I myself don't use batting but instead put flannel in the middle. Generally I use 100% cotton for front and back and flannel for the middle. I know some folks use flannel for both the middle and back. If you are planning on doing blocks (I find that the easiest way) - cut them all the same size.

Lay backing fabric face down, flannel, front fabric face up and sew an X from corner to corner. Lay two backs facing each other (this feels wrong the first few times you do it ) and join the blocks with a half inch seam (this gives you a nice fluffy rag look.)

If you opt for batting, make sure you cut it smaller than the blocks so that it falls inside your seam when you join the blocks as batting will not "rag".
          I have made only one so far. I used flannel in the middle also. I bought 3 Sahara Minky layer cakes from M*. There's only 20 squares to a minky layer cake and these were actually 11" squares. So Minky on the bottom, flannel (washed twice) in the middle and 100% cotton novelty fabric on top. A giant "X" on each set for the quilting and half inch seam allowance. Took it to the laundry mat to wash. It was very snugly. You must get the spring loaded clippers for ragging or your hands are going to really hurt the next day.

These look like what I have:
          https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...BoC6d8QAvD_BwE
          Vonnie

Comment

I've only made one. My experience is all pieces flannel was softer than batting in the middle. Definitely want the larger seams. Also, don't leave all of the snipping to the end. Your hands will hurt. Make sure you have sharp scissors for the snippibg.

Comment

Search the Internet. I’m sure there’s enough
              information to answer any questions you
              May have.
              One word of caution is to never give a rag quilt to a baby
              or a toddler. All the fringes are choking hazards.
              Rag quilts are fun to make, have fun & enjoy.

Comment

I've made many with flannel, front and back and regular cotton batting. They're a bit heavy, but for throw size it's not an issue and they get softer with every wash. I used 10" flannel squares and cut the batting smaller, maybe 9" to keep the bulk out of the seam. Definitely take a good seam allowance and get the spring loaded snippers, they're worth every penny.
                Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Working...
                X