Opinions please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions please?

I made this lap-size top today from a "3 yards" pattern (I loved it - easy large blocks are fast, lol).

The pattern says to use the dark fabr8c as a 3rd boarder with 1.5" strips. Since my dark has a very linear pattern, I didn't think that was a good idea - no way am I going to keep things straight :lol also, if I do that, then I'm supposed to use the remaining fabric to cut 1.25" strips for binding - which really sounds wrong!

I'd like to use the dark as binding, but to cut it on the bias, so it's not so obvious I can't sew straight sometimes :lol Would bias binding be hard to do, and more importsnt, would it look ok? The grey is the "dark"

FB_IMG_1568496941063.jpgFB_IMG_1568496906167.jpg

Re: Opinions please?

Bias binding shouldn't be any more difficult than straight binding. It might take a bit more fabric though.

Comment

Not sure which gray you want to use. In picture #1 the dark gray with little boxes and flowers? I don't think that will work as binding, you would need to cut strips 2.5 inches wide and fold that in half so I think the boxes in that print are going to get all chopped up once you iron the fold and figure only half the strip will show on each side. Pic #2 shows a gray but it is really light and I don't think it will look that good. I hope your feelings are not hurt! If it was mine I would do a bias binding in solid charcoal or black. Your quilt has lots of prints already and I think a printed binding would be too many prints.

Comment

The floral border does need a dark grey binding. What I would do is look in my stash for a solid grey fabric, or buy about a half-yard of solid grey fabric, and use it as a regular binding, not cut on the bias. Otherwise, to answer your question, I think your grey fabric would probably look fine, cut on the bias. Usually when anything is cut on the bias, it will stretch easily, so you would have to be careful about that, if you decide to use a bias binding.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

The grey is the same in both pictures- I didn't realize how blurry the one of the top was!

The reason I thought about making it on the bias was to keep the print, but more on a diagonal, if that makes sense? I figure it would be better than trying (and failing miserably, lol) to keep the lines parallel to the quilt edges.

Comment

jjkaiser - no hurt feelings at all! I appreciate your candor - I'd rather have an honest opinion than otherwise. And I didn't think about it being too much print, that's a good point - the floral never touched the grey in the top, but I think you're right that next to each other it may be too much.

Comment

You might have already decided what to do, What do you have for the backing? You could do the binding with the backing fabric. I do that a lot.

I love the quilt, by the way!
              Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
              ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I like the 3 yd quilt patterns. Yours is really pretty. I have never made bias binding on my quilts so I can't offer any help lol

Comment

I like the idea of a solid charcoal for your binding. I think it would help frame the quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                    You might have already decided what to do, What do you have for the backing? You could do the binding with the backing fabric. I do that a lot.

I love the quilt, by the way!
                    Thank you!

I'm backing it with a dark red Moda Grunge - it has some grey in it that I think goes well. I have thought about that for binding too, but it may not have the oomph of a darker binding if that makes sense?

Comment

I forgot about the grunge fabric! That would be an excellent choice because it has the main color, red, but also the subtle shades of gray that should pick up the rest of your colors nicely. Now I am anxious to see how it all looks together so dont forget to post again when it's done.

Comment

I got it finished! I used the red Grunge for the binding because I wasn't sure if there was really enough of the grey and I didn't have any in my stash that matched well. I quilted it with small over swirls, then circles in the first border & wishbones for the outer border. I love how it turned out. It's a perfect little lap quilt

FB_IMG_1569815091247.jpg
                        FB_IMG_1569815103434.jpg

Comment

It's lovely, the binding is perfect!

Comment

Good job, I love

Comment

Good choice. That is a lovely throw. Good job quilting it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X