Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone encountered your partner not being okay with gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anyone encountered your partner not being okay with gifts?

I've given away many a quilt... my husband doesn't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. He always asks "Who is this quilt for?" And we move along.

I am not sure how your relationship is on a day to day basis, I just know my husband knows I make that decision. I wouldn't even compromise, my hobby, my choice. I don't know how else to say it. I don't tell him how to golf, He doesn't tell me how to quilt.

Comment

Thanks again for all the advise. I think he's not used to giving to others than family. I freely give with my hobby and always have. It's a foreign concept to him. I'm not used to anyone entering my quilting space either, I do appreciate the interest though. I will just comunicate how happy it makes me to gift small projects to co workers for their birthdays. I have to add he has the most stuff I have made made for anyone, he is not left out, ever! Lol thanks again ��

Comment

I make quilts for my sanity, keeps me from thinking about other things, I give because it's my nature to do so. I can't take all of these with me, so my pleasure is knowing I left a little of me behind, be it good or bad!! Don't get me started on entering my sewing space! I thing that was accidently left out of the 10 commandments.
        When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
        Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Quilting is something you love, and giving is one of your attribute that makes you, who you are. It's a package deal. We all are. Love us as we are, or leave us.
          That said, there are questions you may need to explore: Are your bills paid? Do you struggle financially? Is there some sensible reason your partner feels the need to regulate your spending?
          Maybe your partner only sees the money, and not the benefit to you.
          I mean take golf for instance. That's a lotta cash to something intanglible, isn't it? Yet people pay $1,000's for equipment, and then hundreds more for the privlege of playing for a couple hours a week. It benefits the golfer because they enjoy it.
          Compare that to quilting that we can do for many more hours, and end up with something spectacular that we can chose to keep or give away!
          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

My husband and I both have our own hobbies. He golfs, and I sew (and knit and crochet, etc. etc.) It took a few years in the earlier times of our marriage to recognize that our hobbies are our own and are activities that make us happy. He doesn't come into my sewing room, but will come to the door and ask, "What are you working on now?" He never asks about the cost. I don't mess with his golf clubs or golf cart! He likes to watch a lot of TV, and I don't care for it as much. We have different tastes in TV and movies, plus I like to read and he doesn't. But, we've been married for 40 years, and have made it all work. It takes time.

Comment

Just love him for who and what he is and keep reminding him this is part of who you are. It just takes time and patience to train a man. And sometimes a BIG frying pan All I have to do is mention the pan and it gets dh's attention.
              sigpic

Comment

Is it time? Money? Or both?

Lets face it, quilters are the only ones (and their loved ones) who know the costs of time and money put into a quilt. Your coworkers have not a clue. Because they have no idea, they may not have the same respect for the quilt as you both do. If you found out that one of the gifts you gave a coworker ended up at goodwill or in the trash, you would be hurt. Quilting allows you to give your heart in that gift. That makes you vulnerable. I think he may be trying to protect you. Talk to him and ask the right question why he feels like that.
                Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                X