Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPP - I'm getting ahead of myself, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPP - I'm getting ahead of myself, but....

Ok, long story short, I tried EPP several years ago, hated it!

Watched a bunch more videos and read various posts here and decided this year to try again.

Now I'm obsessed with it. Working on a Grandma's Flower quilt with 1.5 inch hexis. Finished size will be about 75x100, and I'm about 1/3 finished already.

Here's where I get ahead of myself.....As I work on it, I keep thinking about the actual quilting of the quilt. It seems to be that after putting in all this work hand stitching the hexi's, it feels like I would be cheating if I machine quilt it. I've only hand quilted one quilt (lap size) and hated that process. But I keep reminding myself I hated my first attempt at EPP too, so maybe this time around with hand quilting would be different (still doubting that though).

So my questions are:

1. Do you hand or machine quilt your EPP project?
    2. If hand quilt, do you do the little stitches or big stitches?
    3. If you hand quilt, do you hire your services out (and if so, what do you charge)?

Re: EPP - I'm getting ahead of myself, but....

I took my EPP to the long armers and picked a pattern that was fairly dense so I wouldn't have to worry about anything coming apart.

Binding it is on the agenda for next week. Or maybe this weekend if I get really bored.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

What is EPP?
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels.
      When someone
      break's our wings
      we will continue to
      fly...usually on a
      broomstick.
      We're flexible like that.
      - embroitique

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
        What is EPP?
        English Paper Piecing

Comment

Ah Ha! Yes! I tried PP I don't remember which one but it's just not my thang.

Back in the 80's I hand quilted a quilt for my double bed. It was not pieced but a Williamsburg stenciled type of print so I stitched around all the stencils. Took me ages but I adored that quilt. Two week later my 7 year old daughter used permanent black marker and "restitched" around the complete thing. I never handstitched again and probably never will. No I didn't kill her but I asked her to go to her room for about an hour. She was so pleased with her workmanship.
          Women are Angels.
          When someone
          break's our wings
          we will continue to
          fly...usually on a
          broomstick.
          - embroitique

Comment

"Two week later my 7 year old daughter used permanent black marker and "restitched" around the complete thing. "

Oh No! I might have been tempted to put a child up for adoption at that point. But those "time outs" are a good thing, not just for the child, but also for us mom's ( and Dads) so we have a chance to cool off and realize they just wanted to add their own artistic skills to our stuff.

Comment

I am working on a Grandma's Flower Garden too. I call it my forever quilt as that
              is how long it will take me to finish. Haven't decided how I will quilt it, lots of ideas
              on Pinterest, here is onequilted-hexagons.jpg

Comment

Interesting.......I thought these were more of a coverlet and were not quilted. Shows how little I know about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                  Ah Ha! Yes! I tried PP I don't remember which one but it's just not my thang.

Back in the 80's I hand quilted a quilt for my double bed. It was not pieced but a Williamsburg stenciled type of print so I stitched around all the stencils. Took me ages but I adored that quilt. Two week later my 7 year old daughter used permanent black marker and "restitched" around the complete thing. I never handstitched again and probably never will. No I didn't kill her but I asked her to go to her room for about an hour. She was so pleased with her workmanship.
                  I hope you saved the quilt and gifted it to her when she grew up. Don't forget to add the "story" to the back.
                  sigpic

Comment

LOL, no sorry but I didn't. Would have made a wonderful wedding present wouldn't it LOL
                    Women are Angels.
                    When someone
                    break's our wings
                    we will continue to
                    fly...usually on a
                    broomstick.
                    - embroitique

Comment

I decided in 2014-2015 to do a purist wall hanging with English Paper Piecing. I had received 2.5 inch scrap squares from Sandy Navas! It was a great use of the scraps of fabric! I hand sewed all the seams and hand quilted the project. It will probably be the only one I do? But, I was pleased how it turned out!
                      I have never charged for hand quilting, so I wouldn't know what to charge. But, should you decide to hand quilt projects for others? Do what stitch is comfortable for you and don't skimp on the price! I have never paid someone to hand quilt my projects, either. Just remember, the projects are a reflection of your creativity. Do what suits you!

Poppies (800x551).jpg
                      Last edited by shermur; June 29th, 2019, 06:16 AM.
                      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I understand there are still church group that hand quilt for money. I've heard $250 thrown around.

Comment

Shermer - I definitely won't be doing hand quilting for others

I am hoping to find someone who I can pay to do it for me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                            Interesting.......I thought these were more of a coverlet and were not quilted. Shows how little I know about it!
                            Maybe you were thinking of a Yoyo quilt. Those are more of a coverlet.

Comment

Working...
                            X